Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kkiley
So you aren't part of the general public? And have to imagine what it sounds like when a Harley rides by with an aftermarket exhaust????? Might be time to step outside and get some air....
When I referred to the "general public", I was referring to people like my non-riding neighbors or anyone else who is forced to listen while the only other biker in the neighborhood feels the need to repeatedly rev his obnoxiously loud bike every time he rides in/out of the development.

Trust me, I KNOW what loud exhaust sounds like and because of that, there are several guys that I won't ride with. I like to be able to enjoy my ride without getting a headache AND I don't like having to detour around certain towns, just because these jackwagons have been cited there for loud pipes in the past. Christ, if you've already been cited, then something is obviously ILLEGAL. I really don't understand the logic?? Like others have said, it has a lot to do with being respectful of others.

As for not being able to buy aftermarket exhaust... please, spare us the dramatics. You'll ALWAYS be able to buy exhaust and people will ALWAYS find ways to make bikes louder (legally or illegally). IMO, any new laws will have the same effect as they do now - they'll keep the honest ones honest.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm one of the open pipe crew and love it, it's not that loud unless I want it to be. Just one more way America is not a free country.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Gladiator72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happen to love the sound of a Harley ... With loud pipes and quiet also... It's a matter of personal preference...and even if I found it annoying it's only a few seconds as the person drives by.. IMHO ... It should be a persons choice as to what they and they alone want to do with there scoot.. If you want loud go loud if you want quieter than do so.. In my experience louder pipes have saved me a few times.. A study could be done... I'm sure ,but it would be tough! Regardless it is a choice... I am sick and tired of this debate going on and on... It's ok to choose what you want as far as pipes... But for you libtards who keep bitching and trying to push your agendas down people's throats whatever it may be...is ignorant and self serving... Are you gonna die from hearing a loud exhaust ? "No your not"... Is it causing ill harm intentionally to anyone ?"no".. I can't stand the crap that come out of your mouths... " Loud pipes are annoying to me; so everyone should do as I say and get quieter pipes... If you don't like it that's ok.. That is your opinion and choice just as, loud is mine and other bikers also... I say live and let live... If you don't like it... Then sell your scoot...and buy a metric... And if you end up with a little extra cash leftover ! Go buy yourselves some boxes of tampons and midol... And why not go buy that pretty pink panties you been eyeing at Victorias secret...

Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

I can see both sides on this one, and that makes me think noise legislation is closer than we think.
No, I don't like the sound (or lack of) of stock pipes, but, this mostly can be directed back to the biker population in general, again all suffer because of a few "inconsiderates" that can't police themselves, in populated areas.
Don't get me wrong here, I love the sound of a Harley as much as anyone, have all my life! But to some of the population, that sound is annoying!
There are already laws on the books, that should control the blatent offenders, but I think the LEO, have bigger crimes to contend with. Again, I think it is a failure of the overall biker community to police itself.

Hey, just my $ .02 worth!

See How Annoying some sounds can be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsX4-W-_GQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFhJ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laxyo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TJLHyQkVh8

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-15-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Swansea Jack
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kzoo
I have the old style SE II's (race only) and they are loud - IF I want them to be. I can use the next higher gear and have to in a couple of small burgs to keep from getting stopped. No harm! Out in the country or on the expressway...I dont mind letting the eagles scream a bit!
I got the SEII's as well - bloody gorgeous. Thing is I was born before political correctness started to stifle free speech and my roof was made when timbers were a lot thinner. What do they want to do - kill off the old folk because they think stuff that might cause offence; pull down the period houses and erect new ones that conform to current building specs? If the Eagles were ok when Harley put em on they are still ok - only opinion has changed. You can't throw out history to suit the present. Make new pipe laws if you have to but the old ones should stand until they rust.

Last edited by Swansea Jack; 08-15-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't like the straight pipes. They are too loud in my opinion. I run true duals with Rinehart slip ons. Has a little rubble but nothing that sets car alarms off. If I roll the throttle they are a little loud, but I very rarely do that while rolling through the residential areas.

I am a firm believer in light travels further and much faster than sound. I have a hard time believing people when they say people in front of them hear the bike before they get there. Physics would disagree. You are moving forward, and sound is resonating to the rear and the side.

I believe being seen is much better than being heard. Having a BAL2 (the police model) for the break light and the Harley LED front head lights with the running lights has made such a difference for me. I have had more people acknowledge me with these lights on than when I was pulling in the cultch and trying to be heard.

Just my Humble opinion

Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 AM
LetItRide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swansea Jack
I got the SEII's as well - bloody gorgeous. Thing is I was born before political correctness started to stifle free speech and my roof was made when timbers were a lot thinner. What do they want to do - kill off the old folk because they think stuff that might cause offence; pull down the houses and erect new ones that conform to current building specs? If the Eagles were ok when Harley put em on they are still ok - only opinion has changed. You can't throw out history to suit the present. Make new pipe laws if you have to but the old ones should stand until they rust.
So - the race only SEII's weren't already in violation of the laws when they were new? If not - then why are/were they designated as race only?

I must be missing something...

Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over here in Belgium it seems that only Americans are running loud pipes. I love them and can't imagine riding without the rumble, but honestly, it makes me feel like a douche over here. There are a lot of HD enthusiasts here but we're the only obnoxious ones.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not sure that loud pipes are the reason for the legislation. I think the noise ***** would do it anyway. I run drag pipes on my 99 EVO with small baffles, and they are not really loud unless I get on it hard, which I do not do unless out on the highway. When in town I short shift to keep them quiet. Lets face it. If you are out enjoying a ride on your scoot, somebody is not going to like it because they are just unhappy to start with, and you are adding to it by having fun. I have seen this happen with my model airplane hobby also. We use to run our engines with open exhaust for years without problems. Then the noise police came along and we had to have mufflers on them. Then, that was not enough, we had to have them meet a certain db level. Now many are going to electric motors to get away from the noise restrictions.

I can tell you that a semi with a jake brake will drown out my drag pipes any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?