General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banning Loud Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is actually very interesting to me. Last year I wrote my master's thesis on modern communication and the effect on reading and writing ability in adolescents.

I got a lot of interesting opinions from teachers, parents, and kids alike.

My conclusion was largely unsupported, because there is (was) very little peer reviewed data available, but my data indicated that kids could "code switch" pretty well between different types of writing, and that they considered texting and other "internet shorthand" to be a separate language.

Oh, and please respect others if you have loud pipes.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
But I think most people would, right or wrong, give me less consideration and take me less seriously because my grammar indicates that I'm uneducated..
This goes both ways. On here, I'd suggest there are many members that will form a negative opinion about someone who uses lots of big words and complicated sentences to get a simple point across.

Using proper grammar is a learned skill that some are more adept at picking up than others. Does this make them better, or just different?

Assuming someone's level of intelligence and education based on language is naive. Someone with an Engineering degree rather than an English degree is going to have very different language skills.

To get back on topic, the other day a rider in town was hit from behind. He was wearing a bright orange "Can you see me now a$$hole" shirt. The driver of the cage said he didn't see him.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On the original topic:

I have found over the last 10+ years of riding bikes both *very* loud and very quiet, that a VISUAL presence does far more to help cagers see you than the auditory presence does.

My last bike had a headlight modulator on it, and that was 10x more effective at being seen than loud pipes.

I was in the "loud pipes save lives" camp until I owned both loud and quiet bikes, and modded a bike to have a better visual presence. Once I did that, I realized that a visual presence does FAR more to keep you safe than an auditory one does.

Having said that: I oppose overly draconian restrictions on car and bike loudness levels. Run loud pipes in an obnoxious way, get a ticket....it should be as simple as that. Call it a 'rudeness tax' if you will. Going so far as to impound a vehicle or deny registration is WAY too much nanny state government for me.

Stupid should hurt, but all attempts to legislate stupid out of society only result in a great loss of freedom with very little positive effects for anyone.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevar
Nothing more than a money maker.
Lawn mowers,weed whackers,snow blowers, snow mobiles, chain saws, some other power tools, and a lot of others are Louder than most bikes
Lets ban them too
That sounds like California talk. Seriously though, I bought my bike used and the CFR racing pipes are so loud that even with ear plugs my ears ring. I really should get them changed out so my other republican neighbors can enjoy the solitude of Orange County.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I seriously think "quiet" is the most misspelled work on this whole site.

Quit, Quite...

Sorry just an observation.
I would have to say that you are quiet right!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

First off what you have to realize it will not stop at regulating loud pipes next will be bigger helmets, florescent gear etc etc... The bottom line is when they ban weed whackers, lawn mowers, buses, trucks with Flowmasters etc then we can all live in a quiet world.

Its all about regulating freedoms we have people here who want no skateboarders, no kids listening to ipods when walking , and no more than 3 kids together at any one time , could be a gang!!! Loud pipes are not loud its the operator and We Have LAWS on the books already!!!!!!! I am very involved in biker rights for many years and Im telling you straight up if we do not stick together and vote etc... you will be riding a sewing machine with a Mr Magoo helmet wearing hockey pads with a flashing light on your head.

Do you realize how many jobs are created from company's who make parts to modify your motorcycle!!! When in town quiet down and join your local ABATE ...

Old 08-18-2011, 08:15 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whose freedoms?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a few issues with some of your statement. If I may?

First off what you have to realize it will not stop at regulating loud pipes next will be bigger helmets, florescent gear etc etc...
I thin the only thing that is going to get fluorescent gear or armored jackets mandated is if bikers keep demanding tougher penalties for injuring a biker in an accident. When the same accident would have resulted in a bandaid and call to Allstate between two cars instead KILLS a biker, and bikers start calling for blood, it makes non-bikers look to eliminate bikes or impose equipment requirements, IMO. I think that the "domino theory" doesn't apply here.

The bottom line is when they ban weed whackers, lawn mowers, buses, trucks with Flowmasters etc then we can all live in a quiet world.
they won't ban weed wackers and lawn mowers due to noise for two reasons:
1- The are tools to do a job. For some, bikes are that too. But the public sees them as toys, and so do many who own them.
2- You can't put a muffler on a weed whacker, and it would be pretty awkward on a lawn mower. But you can quiet down a bike with a muffler. In fact, even HDs come from the factory with a nice quite muffler on them. People CHOOSE to make them louder.

This is why people see fit to ban loud bikes, and not weed whackers and lawn mowers.

Its all about regulating freedoms we have people here who want no skateboarders, no kids listening to ipods when walking
People don't want skateboards in public places for two reasons:
1- Skateboarders have a deserved reputation for being inconsiderate in public spaces.
2- But most of all, no property owner wants to be sued when some Toaster on a skateboard cracks his head open or busts a knee doing rail slides down on their property. And localities don't want to get sued either. No, skateboarding is NOT a crime, but doing it wherever the f you please without regard to other people's property IS.

As for ipods when kids are walking, nobody wants to hit and kill a kid who's head is in the clouds and his feet in the street because they walked in front of your car, which they didn't hear because they are blaring whatever the F kids listen to today.

I don't want penalties for walking and listening, I think that's too draconian, but the reasons behind it are understandable. It's not about "taking away freedom" it's about being nervous about hitting some dumbass kid who isn't looking, or listening, to where he's going.

When in town quiet down
Couldn't agree more. And it's situational. Last night out on the patio at the bar, loved listening to the bikes rolling by at 11pm.

Home with my 7 month old finally asleep after an evening of screaming and the same bikes roll through my suburban neighborhood... not loving that. At all.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Home with my 7 month old finally asleep after an evening of screaming and the same bikes roll through my suburban neighborhood... not loving that. At all.
I think your 7 month old screaming should be fitted with a muffler or some other type of noise attenuation device. Screaming infants at a restaurant or grocery store or shoppping mall are worse than any internal combustion engine with NO exhaust. In fact screaming infants should not be allowed in public...so keep that little colicky brat behind closed doors until he/she is about 7 maybe 8. A DOT/Snell FF helmet is exactly what might do the trick for Junior. I quit smoking some time ago...but would be glad to pick up a pack of Camels and blow some smoke on junior if that will get him to STFU.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:44 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Screaming infants at a restaurant or grocery store or shoppping mall are worse than any internal combustion engine with NO exhaust.
I agree to an extent, that's why we don't stay in a restaurant or other location where people reasonably expect peace if we can't get her to quiet down.

Though I agree only to an extent, as a child who can't speak yet expressing hunger, or pain, or discomfort is a little bit more excusable than a fully functioning adult making loud noise for fun and attention... yet we still leave with her if she is disturbing other people. Some people with loud pipes are courteous that way too, understanding that there is a time and a place.

But your post comparing an unhappy child and a parent trying to quiet them down

to

A group of people who don't get enough attention revving their engines at 11pm in a residential neighborhood

gives us good insight to the type of mentality with which the anti-loud pipe folks are dealing. Wonder why sometimes people have a bad impression of bikers? Well, wonder no more.

Last edited by cameraboy; 08-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Banning Loud Pipes?