General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just rush slip ons!! Do i need a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
No you don't need a tuner, but you can add a couple of Xied's for a hundred bucks that will alter the O2 sensor signals, slightly richen up the FA mix, and make your bike run cooler.
I have heard of these just from conversations on the forum here and there but i dont know a whole lot about them! But from what i can tell they just seem to richen up the bike so they sound like they would work great for just putting slip on on! Some say they only work durring closed loop operation tho! I would think since i always try to keep my rpms under 3200 that wouldnt matter! Im not drag racing my Fatboy! Thanks tho i will look into these further!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
If i just put on the 2" baffle rush slip ons with NO high flow air cleaner just for now will the bike be fine or will it still run too lean? I just want to put the black slip ons on my Fatboy Lo for looks and sound! Dont really want to spend the money on a tuner right know. But yes i already know they run lean from the factory i just dont want it to run even leaner!
Tuning is always recommended but with your setup it is not required. The 2.00" will provide enough back pressure for the stock system to still calibrate back to stock settings. Once you get up to the 2.25" or install a high flow air cleaner a tuner will be required. The stage one and xied's are cost effective ways to prevent a lean situation. Lots of good advice on the other replies.
-Ryan

Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
Tuning is always recommended but with your setup it is not required. The 2.00" will provide enough back pressure for the stock system to still calibrate back to stock settings. Once you get up to the 2.25" or install a high flow air cleaner a tuner will be required. The stage one and xied's are cost effective ways to prevent a lean situation. Lots of good advice on the other replies.
-Ryan
Sounds like i would be just fine with the slip ons only or the slip ons with the Xieds. How much Louder are the 2" Baffles compared to stock?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone I've talked to at the dealer or around town and read on various other forums has said the tuner isn't really needed but a nice option if you can afford it.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTK
Everyone I've talked to at the dealer or around town and read on various other forums has said the tuner isn't really needed but a nice option if you can afford it.
Ya the Harley dealer that i bought my last bike from said if your going with slip ons you dont need anything else. Current dealer says you do! their are so many opinions on this its crazy! But like i saide before just from my own common experience i know the engines run hot and lean from the factory so anything that increases the fuel like a tunner or a Xieds will only make the bike run better and cooler! But since im just thinking of going with slip ons the Xieds should do but i want to research more on them!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

If i just put on the 2" baffle rush slip ons with NO high flow air cleaner just for now will the bike be fine or will it still run too lean?
Your bike will be fine as long as you don't mod the air cleaner.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:05 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There's was a thread a couple of days ago that was basically saying that even with a high flow air cleaner, tuning wouldn't actually be necessary. With the newer (07 onwards) the o2 sensors would correct the fuelling to the same as stock (which admittedly is probably a bit lean).

Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Ive had the Rush 2''ers for 4 yrs... believe me if U just want a good deep rumble at idle, thats not too loud while cruising but will really talk to Ya when U nail it.. U'll love them..

And yes U can just do the pipes. But U'll still be EPA lean as U were before.

Plus,, There custom service it great..

heres some sound clips..

http://www.youtube.com/user/RushRaci...11/Do9Uct3W5v0

Last edited by oct1949; 08-16-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya the Harley dealer that i bought my last bike from said if your going with slip ons you dont need anything else. Current dealer says you do! their are so many opinions on this its crazy! But like i saide before just from my own common experience i know the engines run hot and lean from the factory so anything that increases the fuel like a tunner or a Xieds will only make the bike run better and cooler! But since im just thinking of going with slip ons the Xieds should do but i want to research more on them!
Dyno tuning is always the best option, but a pricey one. I've talked with many of our customers that have great experiences with the Xieds and our 2.00" baffles. There is lots of info on the forum about them. The 2.00" baffle will be a night and day difference from a stock exhaust setup.
-Ryan

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Valkyrie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squat

You don't need to do anything. Read the article in this months American Iron. Leave it alone, put your mufflers and air filter on and ride

2 cents

Mark

Quick Reply: Just rush slip ons!! Do i need a tuner?