General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you REALLY want your spouse along?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:04 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 420 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt

Am I alone in this?
..Yea, pretty much alone.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I love having my girlfriend ride with me. Wish her job didn't take her that far from me or we would be riding 2up everyride. Love having her with me.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I think the vehemence of the reactions is interesting. I am a "turd" or "selfish" because I want an activity or time to myself. I think you are kidding yourselves. (At the risk of quoting Shakespeare, "Methinks he doth protest too much.") When your relationship has lasted as long as mine, you can judge mine.

My beautiful wife has been my best friend for 40 years this December and we have been married for 34 of those. I spent 25 years volunteering and spending time with my three sons--coaching little league baseball, being a boy scout leader, teaching martial arts, volunteering to support their HS activities. Now, when they are all "launched" it is "selfish" that, for the first time in 40 years, I want an activity just for myself.

Do you not let your wives/girlfriends do things on THEIR own? Mine does. If your theory is that you have to spend every minute together and do everything together, good luck with that.
Not selfish at all. Enjoy it and be glad she gives you your space to get out and ride without bitching that you're gone, etc like some women do.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Ghostrider 6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the Sporty if you don't want her along too often.

Seriously, though, make the most of it each time you ride. If she is along, make the most of it. If she is not along with you for the ride, make the most of it.

My friends like my wife, and I love my wife. She rides her own Night Train locally, but on long trips, she'll ride bitch on my Electra Glide.

I have ridden cross country with her and without her. I had a blast each time. Make the most of it either way.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I like having the mrs along with me. shes never been one to say no to having fun and been my best friend since 86.

plus her hoots makes a great backrest..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
Yeppers, quick stops when dating my ex made the ride that more enjoyable.
We laughed later when I told her why I was doing it and she said she already knew why I did it.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
bkscripto
Novice

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I like having the mrs along with me. shes never been one to say no to having fun and been my best friend since 86.

LMAO! Come to think of it, my ex would have made an excellent back rest as well

Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 PM
BRW
Tourer

hell yeah the wife loves to ride,still go solo when I want.But the long trips are great with her.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

My wife hasn't been real enthralled with riding and has never, ever, given me a problem about me riding. We usually do 1-2 longer rides a year. I absolutely enjoy it when she rides with me. I also enjoy going out with my buds for an afternoon and just riding without being concerned with a passenger. It doesn't make me a bad man because I also like to ride solo. She has no problem with it, I have no problem with it, so why would anyone else have a problem with it? It works for us and that's what's important.

But, this year she has been suggesting taking the bike more and more often.
We're planning on flying to Vegas with 4 other couples next year, renting bikes and riding out to the Grand Canyon. I told her that if she felt more comfortable on a touring bike after that trip, that I'd sell the Deuce and buy a bagger. She just looked at me, smiled, and said "You'd sell your bike and do that for me? You've put so much into the bike." My response: " ABSOLUTELY!"

Old 08-14-2011, 09:01 PM
JWD
Tourer

I always want her to go. It's nice also when she decides to stay and doesn't mind when I go too.

Quick Reply: Do you REALLY want your spouse along?