General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you REALLY want your spouse along?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by olddude48
My wife is also my best friend and we do pretty much everything together but my bike is for my alone time! She doesn't care to ride and I don't try to talk her into it!
Same here.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine rides her own, Do I enjoy my solo rides yes, so does she, but if she wants to ride along I have no problems at all .

Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by garand
It's not that I feel like my wife and I have to do everything together, it's just that we want to. Hell, I taught her how to call turkey's and put her fine azz in a blind next to me.

Sometimes I do go to a bike night or two or a ride with the guys, but honestly I still miss my wife when I'm out.

I've been riding with friends for years, and the first club meeting I went to with a local MC they had all the wives sitting at another table. I realized then it wasn't for me. When my friends and I are planning a ride together our wives are more than welcome to sit at the same table as us. Hell I don't need a club house. My friends are welcome over for a good meal and beer anytime as well as their wives.

Someone asked me on another thread if my wife was hot. Of course I think so, but I'll post a pic anyway. Here's to a happy marriage. BTW, today is our anniversary.

...don't ask about the little scooter I'm on. lol

Happy Anniversary!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

My wife rides her own. We enjoy riding together, we also each enjoy riding by ourselves. If I'm riding with a group she is probably part of it. I don't go on trips or rides with "the guys", too much whining and drama.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy having my wife ride with me. We don't really get to do it enough.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Melonbob
No offense, but its the tone of your thread that set people off.
That's fair. It's tough to impart tone the way you want to in an internet post. I apologize if my perceived tone insulted anyone. In anticipation of my wife starting to ride with me, I really just wanted to know other people's opinions about whether they like riding with their spouses as much as, or more than, riding alone. As someone else noted, I think I will ride much more conservatively with my wife 2-up than I do on my own. (I'm much more concerned with her safety than mine.) I may find I like the 2-up experience as an equally enjoyable, but different, experience.

Ironically, my wife just went off to join a health club where she can practice yoga and try zumba and other classes for fun. As she was leaving, and talking about doing this for herself, she said, "That's my motorcycle." We understand each other well and know that giving each other space is important to a relationship.

For the record, like garand (Happy Anniversary, btw), I think my wife is hot too. This is a picture of us on our 34th anniversary last month.

Attached Thumbnails Do you REALLY want your spouse along?-34-yrs.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,665 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Well, I ain't married & the GF has hew own sled, but my favorite way to ride is ALONE--no chick,no other riders,just myself. This way I go the speed & direction I want,stop when I want, & go home when I want. Same with travelling. Been to Europe & othe places by myself, & I love it. Especially love doing Daytona alone.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
That's fair. It's tough to impart tone the way you want to in an internet post. I apologize if my perceived tone insulted anyone. In anticipation of my wife starting to ride with me, I really just wanted to know other people's opinions about whether they like riding with their spouses as much as, or more than, riding alone. As someone else noted, I think I will ride much more conservatively with my wife 2-up than I do on my own. (I'm much more concerned with her safety than mine.) I may find I like the 2-up experience as an equally enjoyable, but different, experience.

Ironically, my wife just went off to join a health club where she can practice yoga and try zumba and other classes for fun. As she was leaving, and talking about doing this for herself, she said, "That's my motorcycle." We understand each other well and know that giving each other space is important to a relationship.

For the record, like garand (Happy Anniversary, btw), I think my wife is hot too. This is a picture of us on our 34th anniversary last month.
Great looking couple. Admit it, you've been doing Zumba also!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I miss having my wife/best friend on the bike with me. She loved to ride and we went everywhere. But I still plenty solo time.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Well, I ain't married & the GF has hew own sled, but my favorite way to ride is ALONE--no chick,no other riders,just myself. This way I go the speed & direction I want,stop when I want, & go home when I want. Same with travelling. Been to Europe & othe places by myself, & I love it. Especially love doing Daytona alone.
Dickey, there has always been something that has drawn me to your posts. I know exactly what you're talking about. I know guys that won't go far unless they have another rider with them. When you're alone you can stop when and where you want and keep going if you want. If you see a strange road that makes you curious, you bust a u-turn and take it. This is just another reason I don't prefer to ride in groups or with a club. Two or three bikes really start to infringe on the freedom of doing what you want. My father traveled much of the U.S. alone on his scoot. I've also done a lot of alone riding in my time as well. Marriage is a bit like straddling a fence at times. I know the joy of riding the distance alone without having to stop or even think about checking in, but I also know the pleasure of a good woman and either having her with me or gladly stopping to give her a phone call.

Quick Reply: Do you REALLY want your spouse along?