General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice Cheap Polarized Sunglasses!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 PM
oestek
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice Cheap Polarized Sunglasses!

We all know polarized shades are the best for day driving, and the high-buck ones are great, but I'm the kind of guy who loses and breaks 'em too often to spend big bux.

So I recently found a pair of Strike King "Mangrove" fishing glasses... they are 100% polarized, have a nice orange tint, and have decent lenses... and I paid $12.00 at Wally World. Looks like they are online for under $20 at many other retailers. They have been going scratch-free for a couple months now for me.

So if you lose your good shades, or want good cheapies, these are a good way to go.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just sent my polarized Oakley's off to be "tuned up" and get new lenses. It cost me $160 but Ive worn them almost every day since 1999. I fell naked without them. Some of these might be nice for back ups or when Im doing something that could mess up my Oakley's.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

I wear Costa Del Mar 580G shades these days, but Maui Jim Kahuna is still my all time favorite pair of sunglasses. I have worn the WalMart polarized fishing glasses in the past, and they are great to get you by when you can't get to the good ones, for whatever reason.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Maui Jim sunglasses are amazing. Period.

I was a Serengeti guy for YEARS, and bought a pair of Maui Jim last year after I tried someone else's on. Simply amazing. Accidentally broke one of the lenses a couple of months ago. Sent them back to Maui Jim, and for $70 the were 'repaired'. I quote that, because I think they sent me a brand new pair of shades. At the very least, they replaced both lenses, both temples, and the nose guards. Sure looks like the frames are new too!

They are well and truly great shades.

I've gotten the flea market polarized ones for $10, and they're ok as backups, but they can't hold a candle to the Maui Jim's.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:31 PM
oestek
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too wear Maui Jims, and have a nice pair of Oakleys, but found these workable in a pinch. I bet outdoor stores like Bass Pro have 'em, too.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Maui Jims are great, but are on the expnsive side. I ran across a brand called Suncloud that makes polarized sunglasses that seem to be pretty decent. They list for $50.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
b1rider
Tourer

+1 on the Maui Jims. Great sunglasses.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

$12 bucks is cheap. but are they safety lens or would a small stone go through them or bounce off while riding.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nirvana
My Maui Jims are great, but are on the expnsive side. I ran across a brand called Suncloud that makes polarized sunglasses that seem to be pretty decent. They list for $50.
Thanks for that. I used to wear nothing but Suncloud cats eye style sunglasses. About 6 or seven years ago they were bought by Bausch and Lomb (sp?). Then they disappeared. Glad to know they are back as an independent company. What about Wiley glasses though. Aren't "ballistic" lenses best, even though they are pricey?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

I wear Gargoyle Legends polarized, but a back up pair like that might be good to have on hand.

Quick Reply: Nice Cheap Polarized Sunglasses!