General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Zumo 665 operation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
karjar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Zumo 665 operation?

I've read the thread about volume fading and the new NIM. My question is do you get navigation instructions while listening to AM/FM or Cd? I only can receive navigation while on Auxilary listening to either XM or MP3 with the comm set. Does this mean they did not wire using a NIM?
Also, why does the HK Radio have a NAV button?when I press it the display says no Navigation installed,see the dealer? Is this right?

Just trying to get my facts straight before talking with dealer so thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff

Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM
evhid1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karjar
I've read the thread about volume fading and the new NIM. My question is do you get navigation instructions while listening to AM/FM or Cd? I only can receive navigation while on Auxilary listening to either XM or MP3 with the comm set. Does this mean they did not wire using a NIM?
Also, why does the HK Radio have a NAV button?when I press it the display says no Navigation installed,see the dealer? Is this right?

Just trying to get my facts straight before talking with dealer so thanks in advance for any input.

Jeff
Not sure if your Zumo 665 is Harley-Davidson Road Tech or not so that may or may not be the difference. Mine is the Road Tech from HD and took the bike to the dealer to have them fix a problem I had with not being able to hear the voice promps. Dam, the problem was me. Even after checking the install twice I missed the fact that the #31 pin was not seated all the way and causing all my problems. The HD tech re-seated the pin and all works as it should. As for the speaker switch being all the way back, even the tech said the same thing. However, on my ride today I put the switch in " speakers " light on and heard the voice prompts and then tried it in the " both " and " headset " positions and was able to hear it fine in the headset. I did have to go into the Zumo and turn volumes up to hear the XM normally, so be sure to check those too. I also was able to hear the voice promps even while listening to AM or FM. Didn't have a CD with me or I would have tried that too but I'm sure it would have worked the same. The dealer was great in helping me and only charged me a half hour of his shop time to fix it, props to the local dealer. As for the NAV button on the radio, I asked that same question and was told that HK was going to have a NAV function on their radio's but terminated that idea long time ago but never re-designed the radio to eliminate the NAV button. I guess it's been like that for quite awhile.

Last edited by evhid1; 08-13-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 PM
karjar
Advanced

Thank you for the reply. Mine is a HD Road Tech, and was installed by the dealer, but I only can get voice prompts when setting the radio on Aux.
I am wondering if they even installed the NIM.

Unfortunately I bought this bike from a dealer 1000 miles away over the winter and had mods done before I picked up. Not thinking the local dealer will fix it.

Which pin 31 are you referring to, and where would I check.

What does the NAV button on the HK radio supposed to do? Anyone?
Jeff

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 AM
hxturbo1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NAV button is for the HD module that will turn your tactory radio into a gps. As far as the mods installed, are they under warranty? The 31 pin is in the loom that attaches to the back of your radio. The schematic is in the repair book.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 PM
karjar
Advanced

It may be under warranty. Was installed this spring. I will have a look at my service manual, generally like to stay Way from wiring myself, but if easy and straight forward can take a crack at it.
Should have had my local dealer do these initial installs instead of the dealer 1000 miles away.
Jeff

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM
evhid1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pin 31

Pin 31 is in the 35 pin connector to that back of your HK radio ( looking at it from the front ) on the right side. The pins you or the dealer install are all just plugged pins that you remove and install the pins according to the NIM install instructions. My 31 pin wasn't pushed in until it seated or locked. You will have to lift the lock off the 35 pin connector to seat that pin or any others that are not. You should be abel to here your voice promps over any selection you make on your radio, AUX, CD, FM, AM, CB, or WB. I've tested the AUX, FM, AM and all the voice promps mute that sound and come in loud and clear. The NAV button on the HK radio is just for a past discontinued function or maybe a future one who knows, but it is a non-issue.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
BillM
Road Captain

The NAV on the HK unit only works with a CD with the maps loaded on it. You also have to purchase the Nav unit from the dealer and install it. It puts the NAV up on the radio screen and looks like crap. My dealer said to NEVER buy it. If you look in the 2011 Accessories catalog you will see the NAV unit there. It costs almost as much as the top of the line Zumo unit.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
karjar
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies guys. The dealer that did the install apologized, indicating he thought that everything was included with the Zumo given the price. He will order the new NIM and ship it to me at no cost for me to install (hope it is simple!).
This dealer is quite a distance away, which really is too bad as they have always gone out of their way to provide great customer service, and make things right the first time if an error occurs.
hats off to Smithers HD in British Columbia!

Jeff

Last edited by karjar; 08-16-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 AM
chaween101
Stage IV

XM Radio comes with a cutting edge dimension of operation to the Zumo 665 with 170 digital channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, dialogue...................................

truck transport|car haulers

Last edited by chaween101; 08-22-2011 at 11:03 PM.