General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Parts and Installation Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM
PghSerb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Parts and Installation Cost?

Besides an exhaust system, what else is needed to swap out the factory exhaust with an aftermarket exhaust? What do the dealers charge to install the new exhaust and equipment?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

I can't speak on dealer charges, because I've never paid to have a dealer install an exhaust.

For Evos or Twin cams, the exhaust system won't come with the exhaust flanges or retaining rings to hold the flanges. You'll either need new flanges, or you can remove the flanges from your old pipes and reuse them. In either case, get new retaining rings, as you'll probably destroy the old ones trying to remove them. You'll also need new exhaust port gaskets.

My bike doesn't have O2 sensors, so I don't know anything about them.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Exhaust gaskets and if you do it yourself be sure you get the old gaskets out. A curved pick makes the job a bit easier. You'll also need some snap ring pliers to get the flanges off your stock pipes. If you're careful they should come off without breaking. I would use a bit of anti seize paste on the flange bolts. If you can find a friend it might be a bit easier to have an extra pair of hands to hold the pipes while you get them in place and bolted down although it can be done single handed. You'll need a torque wrench to tighten the flange nuts to proper specs. Also don't forget to re-torque them a couple of times after you ride a few miles. Be sure you have the proper sized wrenches and sockets before you get started. Don't know what a dealer would charge but I'd imagine at least 2 hours labor at the going shop rate. Also, if the pipes have been on the bike for a loooong time you might need some spray stuff to loosen nuts and bolts.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
PghSerb
Intermediate

This is for a 2012 Fat Bob on order. The dealer is giving me 20% off at time of delivery so I want the dealer to install the parts. This also will keep me in compliance with my warranty.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

Just guessing but I'll bet a good mechanic with tools and experience might get the job done in an hour, especially on a new bike with no rusted bolts. They probably will put in new gaskets though since they are cheap and a bit of added insurance against an exhaust leak. Other than that I can't think of any other parts they would need that aren't included with the pipes. I presume you're not just doing slip on mufflers?

If it were my bike I'd also consider a stage one air cleaner and a remap on the ecm if the wallet will stand the cost.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 PM
PghSerb
Intermediate

I wasn't talking about slip ons. What is a Stage 1 and how much? Same for remap? What do they do? Thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

As I understood it with my 2009 Low Rider, the bikes are shipped and tuned notoriously lean to meet EPA requirements. A stage one air cleaner will allow more air flow and along with the pipes will remove some of the restrictions. The dealer should have a new map for the ecm to accommodate the new parts. Doing this on my 09 made a huge difference in performance with more power and acceleration. Also cured a surge riding at slow, neighborhood speeds. Eventually added a Power Commander V ecm and improved performance even more. Not sure how things work with a new 2012 but you might ask your dealer or maybe someone else will chime in here.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM
PghSerb
Intermediate

Thank You

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll never have a dealership install anything. When I was looking at the Switchback a couple of weeks ago, I wanted the chrome version of it's wheels, and a backrest. Now mind you, the wheels were the most expensive part and list at $449.00 each. The total they wanted for the wheels and the backrest was darn near $3,000.00.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
PghSerb
Intermediate

WOW, my dealerships labor rate is 60 or 70/hr. I'm getting 20% off and just wondering about how much it would cost me there. I hadn't even considered this a month ago but since I've been reading here my head started to spin and I can't stop it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Parts and Installation Cost?