General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why it might not hurt to wear a full face helmet sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,023 Likes on 17,920 Posts

That's rough man Glad you came with as little as you did . We have a stretch of road out here that's notorious for that kinda sudden wind , flips semi's on occasion when they have a light load many a bike has bit it on that highway .

Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
VA Biker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always worn a full face helmet and everytime I consider an open face I read something like this. Glad you are ok for the most part.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

That's wild and the first time I've heard of anything like that. You and your friends were ambushed by mother nature. Glad you guys came out of it alive. It just wasn't your time to go. Get well soon!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
danrad55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what a ride! Glad to see that you are healing and wishing you a speedy recovery. As others have said, sounds like Someone was looking after your group. I was also on I90 heading west from Chicago on Friday and was wondering what time and where did this happen. I took the Badlands route and I left Wall Drug for Sturgis just after lunch.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I'd say God + Mother Nature had a party w/you & your friends & glad the results weren't critical. Bikes & bodies can repair & those bursts are definitely suprising...been through a few here in NE myself. Hope no-one starts a "helmet-bash" with this post because I think your intensions are good (reality check). I'd say it's always good to hear a survivor story like this to bring things into perspecive - thanks for sharing & heal well!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New one on me. I never thought of micro burst winds catching me on the bike. I don't even know what warning signs to look. I usually stay as far from helmet threads as possible but yours did what it was suppose to---good choice wearing it. Some days your the windshield--some days your the bug.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior

Glad to hear you were okay. sorry about what happened. i seem to always get a few funny looks when the wife and i ride all bundled up with Full faced Helmets, but i dont care.

when i was going through the Harley riding school, all i wanted was my pea nut cover, until one of the other students went down going into a corner. she grabbed the front brake and went down face first and went down hard. her helmet at 15 miles and hour looked like yours. after that, Full faced all the time for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One more reason why I started wearing a full face.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been hit with gusts hard enough to tighten up the sphincter but nothing like that. Can't imagine how scary that must have been cruising along one second and the next skidding and rolling on the pavement! If god was angry I have no idea what you did to pizz her off.

My son, daughter in law and some friends headed over I90 Wednesday on their way to Sturgis. Sure hope they don't run into anything like that.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Gotta agree with Torquey and danrad...

Your group was spared, and that's awsome!!!

Some folk just never get it. Sad...

Recover quickly... count your blessing & be thankful.

Beav

Quick Reply: Why it might not hurt to wear a full face helmet sometimes.