General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Pulled Over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
scottiebe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Pulled Over?

so in my years of being on the road, i can honestly say i have never seen a bike (regaurdless of style/brand) pulled over, have you? i know there are a ton of videos of chasses and what not, but im talking about every day average jo just ridding, if your being stupid then you deserve it, but i have been stoped (in cage) for going 9-10 mph over posted speed, or rolling threw a stop sign or running an "amber" light! but never on a bike! i am sure this happens and i understand the fact that there are more cages than bikes so that plays a role......dont get me wrong im not complaining...just an observation...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been pulled over twice. Both times were because I (we) were on a road restricted from motorcycle use...the first time was THE day I bought my bike. Niether time did I know the road was restricted. Didn't get a ticket either time, appologized for not knowing and was let go and instructed to exit the "motorway".

I have bent the law in terms of speed and running other than green lights.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

In over 40 years riding I only got pulled over once, racing with a buddy.
Now one night last year in a beach town, a guy on a sport bike pulled up next to me. I was in the right lane. He's making noises like he wants to go. He would have walked me easy but I did notice a police cruiser that was behind him. He was too busy being cool to see it. Well, the light changed and he took off. He got pulled over. What dumbass.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's brother and I got pulled over in Daytona, cop could have impounded bro-in-law's bike but was amazingly lenient and out of 5 violations he only wrote him up for the most minor, no eye protection. I can't say I've seen bikes pulled over very often, only once or twice that I can think of. Just this week I saw a trooper with a rocket pulled over. From what it looked like, they were doing something with his license plate. Probably improper display as the rocket riders around here like to mount their plates at such an extreme angle under the seat you can barely see it. BTW, I am now knocking on wood. Just because I am making this post I'm sure as hell gonna be pulled over soon.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

You are right, I rarely see it. However, once, on my crotch rocket, I left a light and accelerated, switch lanes twice to get out of the "wolf pack".... A cop was behind me, unseen.... pulled me over and raked me over the coals. He wouldn't listen to me explain trying to get into open space. He was wound up tight, possibly because I was wearing my 1911. His partner was cool as hell, though... While the first officer was writing my ticket, he said "They aren't fun if you don't ride them fast!" Typical good cop/bad cop, I guess...

Ticket was for "failing to signal a lane change". Funny thing is that was the one thing I DID do.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding for 35 years or so and have never been pulled over on the bike. I did have the Police check the serial numbers on my bike when it was parked on main street in Daytona. They were going down the line checking lots of bikes. Not sure what they were looking for.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I've been pulled over twice. Both times were because I (we) were on a road restricted from motorcycle use...the first time was THE day I bought my bike. Niether time did I know the road was restricted. Didn't get a ticket either time, appologized for not knowing and was let go and instructed to exit the "motorway".

I have bent the law in terms of speed and running other than green lights.

In my entire life I never heard of a Public Road restricted to Motorcycles . Where is this road at ?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,586 Likes on 5,093 Posts

I see bikes pulled over alot on the 15 here in SD......one morning going to work a bike zipped by me going atleast 90 mph and missing me by a couple feet......I cursed out that SOB big time and I even knew the bike was from a Navy guy at the hospital. Well wouldn't you know it.....he was pulled over a few miles down the road....that really made my day. A couple of days later I left him a note on the back of my business card,the SOB has yet to call me

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
scottiebe
Advanced

well i am glade to read these replys, was begining to think it was just me!!! i almost wonder if cops just dont even bother with bikes unless of course its an obvious thing racing, cutting cars, or saftey...eye/head protection.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

If you wear a 3pp it becomes fairly routine.

Quick Reply: Getting Pulled Over?