General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Pulled Over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiebe
well after reading these replys i am starting to see a trend, seems like alot of you that have been stopped offten, and or see bikes stopped offten live where the ridding season is year round or close to (not gona get into this discussion) but here in michigan, and maybe true for other seasonal states, maybe the cops realize most of us dont ride year round and just give us a break and turn their heads. i know where i live our PD has a motor fleet, and when i see them while ridding they usually wave or nod! just kind of interesting to read others encounters or experences...
Most of my roust stops and the real chickenshit hard time by cops like tickets like 2 mph over happened in the midwest . Since moving to Ca. 25 yrs ago I've had one speeding ticket and the usual have you been drinking stops and the assorted bust your ***** equipment gigs when they can't nail you for anything else , those are fix it tickets show whatever has been fixed in 10 days and they sign it off .

Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
If you wear a 3pp it becomes fairly routine.
Only time I've ever been pulled over was ... twice in two days. No 3pp, but a leather jacket with denim vest and a (horribly underpowered) bike loaded with homemade saddlebags, duffle, and tank bag.

Southern Missouri cops, both times. First guy made me sit in the back of his car while he threatened to impound my bike, second guy simply told me to follow him out of town.

Azzhat cops... it was a Suzuki, and I'd have pissed myself if a 1%er had said "boo" to me.

Oh, to be young and stupid again.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well after reading these replys i am starting to see a trend, seems like alot of you that have been stopped offten, and or see bikes stopped offten live where the ridding season is year round...
Could be...maybe times of changed too. Seems like I used to get stopped up in Va back in the '70s a gazillion more times than I have down here.

Just got nailed last week as a matter of fact....let go with just a warning.

My CDL sure has had allot to do with getting breaks though. The times I have been writting up they'll make the ticket out for a non moving violation.

Last edited by rafael53; 08-13-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I think a firefighter was sleeping with his old lady" That's great! Also, don't say to the cop, "Gee, you look like the guy in the picture on my girlfriend's nightstand!"

About the only bikes I will stop are sportbikes with the hidden or sideways license plates, and running illegal HID headlights. Most get a warning either way, unless they get nasty.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Superbob
Advanced

I was pulled over at bike week in Daytona this year and given a $116 ticket for having my license plate verticle instead of horizontal. Sheriff was on an ego trip!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:55 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
Only time I've ever been pulled over was ... twice in two days. No 3pp, but a leather jacket with denim vest and a (horribly underpowered) bike loaded with homemade saddlebags, duffle, and tank bag.

Southern Missouri cops, both times. First guy made me sit in the back of his car while he threatened to impound my bike, second guy simply told me to follow him out of town.

Azzhat cops... it was a Suzuki, and I'd have pissed myself if a 1%er had said "boo" to me.

Oh, to be young and stupid again.
I could tell some real good ones about those redneck Missouri cops down south there .

Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any houses for sale? I want to move to your neighborhood!

I've seen plenty of bikes pulled over, including me a few months ago when I was riding through Helen, GA.

so in my years of being on the road, i can honestly say i have never seen a bike (regaurdless of style/brand) pulled over, have you? i know there are a ton of videos of chasses and what not, but im talking about every day average jo just ridding, if your being stupid then you deserve it, but i have been stoped (in cage) for going 9-10 mph over posted speed, or rolling threw a stop sign or running an "amber" light! but never on a bike! i am sure this happens and i understand the fact that there are more cages than bikes so that plays a role......dont get me wrong im not complaining...just an observation...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:29 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

got pulled over once because "50 deg. is too cold to be riding a motorcycle". once for sitting at a red light waiting for it to change.once for sitting on the side of the road parked,talking to a gf with out eye protection on.once by a park ranger because "it sounded like i was going too fast" and he knew it because he rode a 250 streetbike. a cop took a turn too tight,almost hit me, and gave me a ticket for being over the line..my gf was following me and she had to swerve to miss him to.went to court with a witness,it was thrown out but i had to pay $150 for court costs,and my record said i plead guilty. was following my wife once,she was driving i was on my bike.she basically brake checked me.i slid on wet tar and bumped her car bumper rite in front of a sheriff. i got a ticket for speeding/too fast for conditions 5-7mph.my wife paid it before i had a chance to fight it.my record now says it was a failure to control resulting in a at fault rear end collision.. i was chased several times a day back when i used to ride a sportbike,i never stopped. most places have a policy that they wont chase a sportbike because it is too dangerous..most people on harleys have the money to hire a layer so they would just be wasting tax money issuing citation.if you look like a poor rider they love to harass you.i guarantee if your being an *** or causing trouble,they will come after you

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-15-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Cito
2nd Gear

Haven't been pulled over yet, but recently I had a CHP (who was hiding under a tree in a blind corner) light up and sound all of his sirens when I rode by him a bit too quickly. Luckily just a warning.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j1mmy
got pulled over once because "50 deg. is too cold to be riding a motorcycle". once by a park ranger because "it sounded like i was going too fast" and he knew it because he rode a 250 streetbike. a cop took a turn too tight,almost hit me, and gave me a ticket for being over the line..my gf was following me and she had to swerve to miss him to.went to court with a witness,it was thrown out but i had to pay $150 for court costs,and my record said i plead guilty. was following my wife,she was driving i was on my bike.she basically brake checked me.i slid on wet tar and bumped her car bumper rite in front of a sheriff. i got a ticket for speeding/too fast for conditions 5-7mph.my wife paid it before i had a chance to fight it.my record now says it was a failure to control resulting in a at fault rear end collision.. i was chased several times a day back when i used to ride a sportbike,i never stopped. most places have a policy that they wont chase a sportbike because it is too dangerous..most people on harleys have the money to hire a layer so they would just be wasting tax money issuing citation.if you look like a poor rider they love to harass you.i guarantee if your being an *** or causing trouble,they will come after you
Too Funny, my guess was going to be probably because they can't catch a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Getting Pulled Over?