General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Pulled Over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Not pulled over yet. But several of my friends have gotten speeding tickets.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

WOW! I can't believe how many law abiding motorists have responded. I would think I was on a moped forum.

I have been pulled over so many times that I've lost count in the last 40 yrs and over 1M miles of riding. I've been caught doing over 100 mph a couple times, and a few times, actually closer to a dozen times, I've been known to flee. Got caught just once fleeing on base. In the last 2 yrs I've been pulled over 4 times, twice by the same cop in an unmarked Toyota Corolla. Lucky for me deputy Wilson is a HD owner and let me off with a warning, using a bicycle lane for passing and a yr later passing over double yellow. Got one ticket last yr for riding through a red light that I couldn't trigger green. Ended beating it in court. Other wise I've been ticket free on motorcycles since 1985.

Last week I saw a lady HD rider pulled over in Sebastian FL on US-1. I still see several mc's pulled over a yr on average.

Still can't believe you guys though. LOL

Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Still can't believe you guys though. LOL
The difference is knowing where and when.

For instance, I drive, not ride, minimum 18k miles a year, now it's much higher. The only reason I'm not doing 10-over+ all the time is due to traffic or residential streets.

I've had numerous "contests of speed" (always in Mexico, no witnesses) and I might get pulled over once every 3 years for speeding and last time I was ticketed probably 2001.

It's a science, and books have been written about it.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 AM
05KrazyTrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got stopped for the first time riding in 4 years, but i see a bike pulled over now and then

Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Less bikes on road = seeing less stops.

I've been hit about equally in/on both.

Some areas just lookin like a club member gets you extra scrutiny, cut or no.

I tend to think that LE has a fair bit of respect for two-wheeled transport as a whole, though, especially the ones on motors themselves.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,005 Likes on 17,908 Posts

Damn some of you guys have lead charmed lives on a bike , can't count the times I've been rousted on a bike and we won't even go into the 3 pc days funny thing I've only had 5 tickets my whole driving career most stops where just a roust . I will say it's slowed dramatically the last 10 yrs or so , only time anymore is the occasional hardass busting ***** on any bike during summer weekends here in town on the main strip . We have the old town artsy fartsy antique stores and junk shops for the tourists and local biker bar on the end of it , lots of fun sometimes .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-12-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Timely thread...just got pulled over yesterday afternoon. Totally my fault but the State Trooper was a nice guy, only gave me a warning and it was a verbal one at that. Got one in my own neighborhood a few years ago. There is an elementary school in the neighborhood and when school starts back up a local officer usually sets up on a side street right before the school for a few days. Again another warning.
I have had troopers on bikes go past me at a higher speed wave me to slow down but not pulled over.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 AM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Cops, I get two reactions from them, they either stare at me like I'm scum, or they wave. Never been pulled over though, yet.
I get the same thing,when I get the look I just smile and go on my way.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got pulled over a few months ago at the beginning of the summer. The Metropolitan Police had set up a checkpoint on one of the main roads on my commute. They were doing random spot checks on motorcycles. They wrote me up for having a leaking rear shock absorber, which I hadn't noticed and was glad they pointed out to me.

I was less thrilled about having to spend £100 on getting it replaced within 14 days or going to court...

Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motorcycles don't get pulled over much because the police don't see us either. A trooper turned left in front of me just the other day.

Quick Reply: Getting Pulled Over?