General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet search

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My narrow headed narrow minded man wears an Arai Profile. Yes, its full face but its very light and has lots of vents. Give it a try.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM
hedgehorn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the liner out and shape the inside with a sanding disc on a angle die grinder to get rid of the pressure. Everyones head is shaped differently. I have done this on helmets for years.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Plug in the die grinder

You can peel back the lining and take some foam out. Then use spray glue to put the liner back in.
Below is my daily ride bucket that was done in 1986 a few months after I bought it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Holly Crap,,, according to specs,, that expired 21 yrs ago..

Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Arai...they make a couple of 3/4 helmets. I have the SZ/m and it fits my oval head better than any other 3/4's & I don't get the forehead pressure I do on most rounder helmets. Arai has different shaped helmets (subtle) to accommodate different head shapes.

IF you find a shop that really knows how to fit them, I can almost promise they can make it work. Most Arai's can be adjusted with Arai padding for a custom fit. There's a shop here in Dallas, Moto Liberty has an Arai guru. Not all mc shop employee's are trained to fit helmets correctly.

You might contact Arai and see if they recommend anyone in your area that can fit your wife. I was at one of those International Motorcycle Shows here in Dallas a couple years ago and there was a vendor that had all the parts and was fitting Arai's. Sure wish I remembered who that was! They weren't local.

You don't want to trim the hard foam if you/she cares about the helmet actually doing what it's intended to do. You can, however, safely shave/trim the comfort padding. Of course, if she's only wearing a helmet to be compliant with your local laws, then dremel away.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by remike
My wife's head is narrow (please no pin head jokes) and we have purchased two different 3/4 helmets (she can't tolerate full faced) and after approximately 1 hr of riding her forehead is throbbing. When she removes the helmet there is an angry red mark accross her brow.

Does anyone have any suggestions for 3/4 helmet, price is of no concern as I want her to be comfortable.

Thanks,
Mike
Arai make two models specifically for the long oval head shape (Signet and Profile). See WebBikeWorld.com for helmet fit by head shape info.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
The only company to make mulitple helmet shapes is Arai - the Arai Profile is made for long oval (thin) heads but is a FF............get her to try it before she says no, IMO Arai makes the best fitting and most comfortable lids.
That's why my FF is that helmet. I can't wear most helmets because if they are the right size (for the rest of my melon) the front hurts my forehead. I don't know who made my H-D half helmet, but it is also comfortable.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 AM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Try Nolan, they are shaped for narrow melons

Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm partial to Shoei because the full-face fit me better, more "space" in front and easier visor swapping.

They have a couple of 3/4 helmets, just make sure whatever you get is SNELL approved, if available as a 3/4, no exceptions.

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Below is my daily ride bucket that was done in 1986 a few months after I bought it.
You're seriously using a helmet that is 25 years old? I'm not sure if that would be the equivalent of a bag of powdered sugar or a bag of rocks depending how the material has aged.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-12-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
verko
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My head is Long Oval, I've used the Profile for years, its the only helmet that fits.

Recently bought a Licks NovDot 3/4 and went one size larger, it fits really good and I've been using it more and more.