General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first road-bike! Need buying tips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first road-bike! Need buying tips!

Well, after many years of dreaming between my father and I, we're deciding to get 2012 Harley's quite soon. Maybe before the winter.

My dad has his eyes on a Softail Deluxe or Classic. From what a veteran rider friend says, it's a good bike for the beginning HD owner for both comfort, ride, quality, and price.

I really don't want to duplicate what he's getting so I've been looking for either a Fat Boy or a Dyna Fat Bob. I'm looking for the same qualities that my dad is looking for. I don't see too many long trips in my future (yet) besides a plan to go to Sturgis next year or maybe Niagra Falls. So something where I can put a few hundred miles on in a weekend or take to work on nice days.

Now, I've been riding dirt bikes since 2001 (I'm 22 now) and have maybe 8 hours on a street bike via a riding class. So I'm a beginner to street bikes but a vet in riding on 2 wheels. I really plan to take it slow and ride around my local area to get use to riding on streets again.

This will be my first bike but probably not my last. I will NOT get anything but a Harley-Davidson.

So what are some recommendations on what I should be looking for in a road bike?

What are some questions I should be asking the salesman when I'm in the process of looking?

Any little bit of info will help!

Last edited by DC4MVP; 08-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you have the dirt bike experience. It's what I started on many moons ago.
It's been said many times, but if you can rent one you like prior to buying it you'll have a better idea if it's the one for you.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
MountainFXS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone besides me think this post was written by the HD marketing department?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kowan
Glad you have the dirt bike experience. It's what I started on many moons ago.
It's been said many times, but if you can rent one you like prior to buying it you'll have a better idea if it's the one for you.
Sadly, I let my permit expire last spring when I started my new job and I believe/bet most dealers require a license to go on a test ride. I'm going in for knee surgery next Friday so while I'm off of work, I'm going to get my permit again and take my family friends' bike out a few times when the knee comes around.

I should also state, the plan is to buy this fall and pick the bikes up next spring if they allow that. One word of advice I got is to literally sit on each model they have since every different model (classic, deluxe, etc) have a slightly different "fit" and have the salesman hold the bike upright so you get into the riding position.

It's hard to explain. I've never been on a "big" street bike (rode my buddies crotch rocket around a parking lot a few times) but I know I should be able to handle it. I can't dirt bike anymore due to the knees so I think it's time to step up. Like I said, I refuse to start on anything but an HD while a lot of people say to get a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki before a Harley.

I know 10 years on a dirt bike doesn't compare to being on an HD but it's time to start. Most of my Harley owning friends are pushing hard for me to get an HD as well after I've shown "hesitance" over spending money

Originally Posted by MountainFXS
Or perhaps someone who is a good writer and looking for serious input into buying my first bike? If I'm spending the 16+ grand, I'm going to research and get advice until I sign the papers on a new bike. The best way to get good advice and make for a good forum discussion is to write like you have at least 10th grade grammar.

Last edited by DC4MVP; 08-10-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
MountainFXS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I didn't know we reading Will Shakespeare.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you buy a Harley:
(1) Go to MSF class
(2) get your license (most states don't require a road test, if you have MSF class)
(3) go to a Harley demo day and ride several.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Once you get your license. Call every dealer you know that is accessible to you. You will then find out which dealer you want to make a deal with because out of the 7 Harley dealers I contacted, only 2 of them I wanted to do business with.

Some sales staff over the phone will say "Fill out the credit app online then we can talk." I pretty much blew them off because they were not willing to disclose how their financing works. A simple question I wanted to ask. At the time I wanted to know how the 0 down 0 payments for six months work.

It is obvious that you have a budget set in mind. Since you figured that out look at the bikes in your price range.

Your choices were a Fat boy or a Fat Bob. You would probably like the Fat Bob better.

The best advice I have been told is "know before you go"

Know what you want
Test drive the bikes you plan on buying
Then finanance or buy with cash.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
DC4MVP
Tourer

I took my MSF class with my father when I was 17. You had to be 18 to get your license upon the final test of the course so I only got a permit. That was 5-6 years ago so I don't know if that will hold true today.

That's interesting. I may have to stop in and ask the licensing place. Unless the road test changed dramatically, I've done it before so I'd be ready.

Does anyone know if Harley (most dealers are different of course) does that "buy in fall, pick-up in Spring" deal since if I get a bike in mid-late September, I don't want to ride it for 2-3 weeks then end up having to store it.

That's what we use to do with my dirt bikes. We'd buy it in October-November, I'd start with the payments and they'd keep it in their climate controlled storage so it's not sitting in the garage during a Minnesota winter then once spring hits, go pick it up and it's ready to ride.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
Does anyone know if Harley (most dealers are different of course) does that "buy in fall, pick-up in Spring" deal since if I get a bike in mid-late September, I don't want to ride it for 2-3 weeks then end up having to store it.
You can buy it ANY TIME you want and pick it up ANY TIME you want from anywhere. The catch is you have to pay for it WHEN YOU BUY IT! As far as which bike to buy, like was said before me, go to the dealer and sit on em all. ANY bike can be made to fit ANY rider but you want to find a suitable starting point that suits your wants and needs.

AND BY THE WAY - Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainFXS
your first 2 posts were to slam someone asking legit questions?

I think you're a troll.

sorry to hijack thread..... to the OP - sounds like you're overthinking this. pick a bike that fits you the best. then shop around for the best deal.... finally - ride the crap out of it and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first road-bike! Need buying tips!