General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mother Harley Changes MORE Policies!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

The makers of Victorys should do well off the back of this bright idea.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

so theoretically, someone could open a business taking orders and shipping moco parts overseas.............

Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
so theoretically, someone could open a business taking orders and shipping moco parts overseas.............
theoretically.......

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in 1993 when I was shopping for a Harley, Cdn Dealers would not sell to anyone leaving the area, and particularly leaving the country, however I was military and serving overseas I did find a dealer in my hometown (sold both Jap & HD for the record), and he sold and we worked out a deal to ship the bike to myself in Germany, which I picked up and rode to my home overseas. This has been the case for many years and few dealers will consider selling a bike they do not get the residual dollar sales from service and parts. Some dealers were willing to make some exceptions over the years for serving military members. Currently in the Squadron are many HD owners and we do get our parts usually with the assistance of friends , family and companies willing to ship to military overseas post boxes, however this is a case by case basis , and we help each other out as much as we can. That said, I can see where and why the MOCO is going with this clamp down, and totally understand the marketing and sales logic employed to retain sales for dealers, however the MOCO has been supportive of the military for years, and this policy will definitely affect Military Members stationed overseas. The prices in Europe are basically the US price equated direct to Euros, and a bit added for good measure, so a hefty price and there are NO SALES , I assure you of that..LOL.. Not sure how this will play out, but as someone else stated your bike is worth more in parts than as a whole. Of course overseas we have to contend with Stolen HDs , which are rumoured to be sold on the street of Moscow within 24 hrs of them disappearing here , or as they often jokingly say Welcome to Krakow, your vehicle is already here !, point here is that insurance companies often will not insure HDs. HD (Lawyers) went after the copyright infringers inthe 80's and the aftermarket suppliers in
the 90's , so only makes sense they will take corporate steps to protect their profits in the current economic environment ..Makes business sense , for $$$, maybe not the best for customer relations, but then who are buying these bikes nowadays ..the middle age , middle class and upper class with stability and money , (of course catering to the growth industry of women riders, and Kids with money ...)...I know that in the 90's you had to wait for a bike , and not a lot of inventory made its way overseas, but HD opened up its overseas markets a decade ago and is still selling bikes to the Rich & Famous , of any nation who can afford them , and those prices , you have to be rich , Holland is a perfect example , they have Luxury taxes there for such toys ! ..ouch ! ..just saying ...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc
The e-mail fr. M&M states that HD is not going to sell to INDY's anymore!
I call bullshit on that one. My local indy buys all his OEM stuff from the local Harley shop. Marks it up 10%, and tells you up front if you want to save the 10% go get it yourself.

Little stuff I know is right, or big stuff he'll give me the part number for (or that he'll confirm the part number I think I want I'll pick up. But if it's a kit and I bring it in, and part if the kit is wrong, I have to run back to the dealership. If he buys the kit and its missing parts, he deals with it.

Either way... I can't see HD turning away the indy and his piles of cash

Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FXR_Hamster
the MOCO has been supportive of the military for years, and this policy will definitely affect Military Members stationed overseas.
US dealers are still allowed to ship to overseas APO/FPO addresses, which are considered domestic US, as long as the billing address is the same.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

[quote=JHL-ShinySideUp;8684858]I call bullshit on that one. My local indy buys all his OEM stuff from the local Harley shop. Marks it up 10%, and tells you up front if you want to save the 10% go get it yourself.

10%? doesnt even cover his time when it all works out in the wash.

This new HD policy sucks, my nearest dealer is 120 miles away and its a wee Mom and Pop, nearest after that is over 400 miles. I buy lots of stuff online (well, I did) and will continue to support JP and Kirk and others, even more so now I guess

Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Export License

Originally Posted by schumacher
If they had the export license and paid the fees associated with the license, and knew the laws of exporting things to other countries. Just saying it isn't as easy as buying local and shipping.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus warranty replacement might require the original purchaser to file. Meaning sent back to the seller at your expense.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
If they had the export license and paid the fees associated with the license, and knew the laws of exporting things to other countries. Just saying it isn't as easy as buying local and shipping.
my wife is head of a fortune 500 companies shipping dept and knows the ins and outs of export...........
hmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Mother Harley Changes MORE Policies!