General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Heads over HD Class Action Suite

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Hot Heads over HD Class Action Suite

Interesting news of late - good to see that someone is trying to make a change, sad to see it had to be done this way, worried that it could affect us all - just hoping in a good way.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea who I should sue for getting sunburn when I went riding last week?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow just wow...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Hot coffee spilled in your lap - sue who made it hot, engines are explosions that create heat, sue because it is hot and it burns when you touch it, Ngoti8tor has it nailed for the next one....

I am TRULY hoping that the suit is not rewarded to the plaintiffs by any financial gains - just forces HD engineering to make the engines cooler sooner... I have no complaints TBH, but if anything good does come out of this - I hope it is not monetary in nature to those who filed.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
fm58
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 40 Posts

You will have a lot of people trying to get in on this. I love my 103, heat, vibration, occasional knocking. It is a Harley.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I don't understand this part

"Owen believes the unsafe heat problem is due to Harley selling larger engines that cannot comply with the emission standards of many states, including California"

My Yamaha Roadliner was 1854 CC, way bigger than anything HD makes and it didn't put out the heat these bikes do. And yes, it was air cooled. If Yamaha can figure it out why cant Harley?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I wouldn't complain if Harley installs a new liquid-cooled motor in my bike as part of the settlement, but, yikes, I don't know of any air-cooled motor that doesn't get pretty damn hot. I can't believe this ever moved forward.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone is surprised by this they shouldn't be. While I disagree with the suit I saw it coming. While this does not apply to everyone I would say that the RUB's make up a large portion of the new bike market. People do not do their own wrenching anymore and after the spend 20 plus grand they think they should have a bike that runs as cool, not understanding that it is a AIR cooled bike. Chalk this up to another I didn't get what I wanted so it is someone elses fault, dont like their response so I will sue to get my way. It is sad. I would love to see a water cooled bagger, actually want to build a road rod (vrod bagger google it) but also respect Harley's history, and understand a lot of other HD enthusiasts do not share my view. Curious if one of the lawyers bought a bike and then got the idea to sue. OK off my soapbox now.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When there is money to be made the bitches come out in hoards. Both plaintiffs and lawyers.

"The complaint alleges that since 1999, Twin Cam 88, 96, 103 and 110 cubic inch engines in Harley motorcycles produce severe, excessive heat causing clothing to catch on fire, burn injuries and the danger of burn injury to riders and passengers as well as overheating causing premature engine wear and in models manufactured after 2006, transmission failure. Although Harley Davidson asked the Eastern District of California court to throw out the claims under state law, the U.S. District Judge sided with the bikers."

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Pretty sad when only 4 bikers came forward in this lawsuit. I'm glad it is moving forward, hopefully some good will come out of it.

Quick Reply: Hot Heads over HD Class Action Suite