General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Mississippi

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:06 AM
UC4ME
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching the coeds? Like a fisherman watching the fish swim by. As a fisherman I am an advocate of the "Catch and Release" strategy. I suggest the same for guys young enough to do so.

For me, old enough to be a coeds father, perhaps a coed's mom might want to go for a ride?

Originally Posted by PPBART
Have fun.... Not much to do in Sturgis without the rally, but you can still ride up to Starkville and watch the coeds.

Link to local paper:

http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/node/6720

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
If it don't make money, it ain't on the list.

Why is it the biggest bestest bike rallies are gauged on how much there was to do and see and buy? The times I remember most fondly are the ad hoc meetings, pointless rides down the Natchez Trace, finding old friends and discovering Ratliff Ferry's restaurant isn't always open. I can't tell you what I bought at last year's Sturgis South, but I have a vivid memory of a trike made out of the *** end of a VW bug, heat prostration, and a huge, cold, free Gatorade from the roving medical team. The best get-togethers are the gatherings of gray old eagles, showing off their new metal and their improbably old rebuilds, and making plans to do it all again next week.

I'll be at Sturgis, Mississippi on October 8th, 2011, looking for some place to get a cold soda.

Roo!
It's nice to go to a rally, when it's less than 60 miles from your house, but, that's not the case for the rest of us. You seem to forget that most people have to travel several hundred miles to get to Sturgis South, generally after a 400 mi run, I don't want to find out that the Ratliff Ferry Restaurant is not always open or not any restaurants are open!

Hey, they had a great Rally going for quite a number of years and it was a lot of fun, but poor management, local infighting, politics, and not investing in a first class place to bring 35,000 people together ended the Sturgis South Rally, NOT the people who attended the rally!
I'm not saying I won't go back, but the Rally will have to be better planned.

Nothing will kill your enthusiasm quicker than a dirty Port A Potty and standing in backed up sewage to take a shower. I like to have a place or something to eat, and don't consider "free Gatoraid from a roving medical team" a treat!

Maybe you, being a local, can attend some of their town meetings and steer them back in the right direction. Look at the Rally from a different view point, realize that most attendees, travel a great distance to attend and are not able to ride home at night, to take a shower!

Maybe the Rally is not Lost Forever, keep us posted!

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-20-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Originally Posted by Harleybass
It's nice to go to a rally, when it's less than 60 miles from your house,...
Wait. Lemme check...yup! Under 60 miles!

...most people have to travel several hundred miles to get to Sturgis South, generally after a 400 mi run, I don't want to find out that the Ratliff Ferry Restaurant is not always open or not any restaurants are open!...
As most people who know me will tell you, I do my best thinking with my ***. After a 400 mile run, I'm a babbling idiot. Sometimes before. I'd have trouble telling the difference between a dirty Porta Potty and the "Ice and Fire" restaurant, except the Porta Potty is still in business.

...I'm not saying I won't go back, but the Rally will have to be better planned. ...
If you make it this year, I'll take you out for pizza at Ackerman. You'll be my adopted "ferner". PM me for a cell # (yes, Mississippi got cell towers last year - hopin' for GPS by 2015). After pizza, we'll go into Sturgis for a little shopping at the Biker Den...maybe buy a commemorative Sturgis 2011 crack pipe.

... Nothing will kill your enthusiasm quicker than a dirty Port A Potty and standing in backed up sewage to take a shower.
That was you?

...Maybe you, being a local, can attend some of their town meetings and steer them back in the right direction.
HAHAHA. aAAAAAAHHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I think I just had an accident)

... Look at the Rally from a different view point, realize that most attendees, travel a great distance to attend and are not able to ride home at night, to take a shower!
That WAS you!!

...Maybe the Rally is not Lost Forever, keep us posted!
Yeah, me too. I'm gonna miss...gonna miss....hmmmm. Oh, yeah! Funnel cakes.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser

CMA will be having a memorial ride October 8, 2011, in honor of Jody, the First Lady of Sturgis South. KSU at 9:00 AM. All are welcome. It will start at the Vineyard Church in Flowood, and proceed to a church in Sturgis. The park will be closed that day.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Dream Riders will be hosting a benefit poker run covering Ackerman, Sturgis, and surrounding communities on October 8th, 2011. More details will follow, but you can expect this to be a big one! Proceeds will go toward heart surgery for 10 month old Kailynn Burton, as well as toward the purchase of a "Thera-togg" body suit for 2 year old Beau Carson so he can learn to walk.

See you at Sturgis!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Originally Posted by Mississippi Birdman
CMA will be having a memorial ride October 8, 2011, in honor of Jody, the First Lady of Sturgis South. KSU at 9:00 AM. All are welcome. It will start at the Vineyard Church in Flowood, and proceed to a church in Sturgis. The park will be closed that day.
Bikers from the Philadelphia/Choctaw area will intercept and join the CMA ride at the junction of Highway 25 and Highway 16 (west of Carthage). Rally at Lowe's in Philadelphia at 8:30 AM (KSU 8:45 SHARP).

Roo!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
MicahB339
Tourer

Bikers from the Philadelphia/Choctaw area will intercept and join the CMA ride at the junction of Highway 25 and Highway 16 (west of Carthage). Rally at Lowe's in Philadelphia at 8:30 AM (KSU 8:45 SHARP).

Roo!
If I dont have to work il be there

Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I saw a reference to watching the coeds. Most of the "coeds" i saw walking around in Sturgis last year seemed to be around 15. think i'm going to the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, AR. At least the "coeds" might be older.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I saw a reference to watching the coeds. Most of the "coeds" i saw walking around in Sturgis last year seemed to be around 15. think i'm going to the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, AR. At least the "coeds" might be older.
It's Mississippi. Fifteen IS older.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Default 15?

It's Mississippi. Fifteen IS older.
15 will get you an all expense paid room at Parchman Farm, for the next 20 years! Even in Mississippi.