General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Mississippi

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Officially cancelled...

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, The Sturgis South Bike Rally Board has decided to cancel the “Sturgis Bike Rally” for the 2011 season."

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds like they managed it to death. It was great they changed it to october but the weather could be dicey that time of year. Like chilly and raining all weekend and it's an outdoor motorcycle event with an outdoor stage. Why would anyone send non-refundable $40 for that? Looks like the Sturgis Rally Board, who i am sure do not ride, failed to take that into account. They also got too greedy in the last few years and raised the vendor spots to exorbitant rates which either caused the vendors to not come or if they did, to charge higher prices. Some rally planners have learned the hard way that you can lose your *** when you book high dollar acts at an outdoor event, charge high admission prices and the weather turns bad and no one comes.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
MicahB339
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RoosterBoots
I guess Im a rogue biker and or poser cause I'm still going.

Last edited by MicahB339; 08-17-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Micah, I sincerely hope you are a rogue biker who cannot spell. Yeah, we're gatherin' the faithful for an unofficial pilgrimage on 10/8/11. Plans include lunch at the finest McDonald's in Ackerman, followed by a slow ride to Sturgis around 12:00 or so (first bike on Hwy 12 sets the pace - 25 would be OK); shopping at one of Sheila Jameson's biker-friendly stores. Everybody who wants a T-shirt has to make their own with a Sharpie and a tidy whitey Hanes. Recommended slogans include:
1. "I went to the 2011 All Volunteer Bike Ralley in Sturgis, Mississippi"
2. "I terrorized Sturgis, Mississippi for no good reason on October 8th, 2011"
3. "I'm with sputid"
4. "OK, I'm here...WHERE'S ROOSTERBOOTS?"
5. "I'm a Rouge Biker"
6. "CANCEL MY VACATION? Sturgis can kiss my Fat Boy" (or Softail, Shovelhead, Sportie, Heritage, Road King - any euphemism for yer nether regions).

This ought to be fun!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 AM
MicahB339
Tourer

Sorry u no us missippy folks caint spell reel gud

Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Sounds like they managed it to death...
Not a big deal to me, it wasn't much of a rally anyway. In the past I went because it was one of the few group rides I regularly participated in. Now I can take another look at my "future road trips" list and decide where else might be a better destination -- e.g., TX Hill Country -- and start planning(!)

Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Ret50
Cruiser

In the American spirit of cantankerous sedition, such as was on display in Boston on March 4, 1770 when Herman Byrd, a lone patriot on horseback, happened upon a squad of British regulars vainly laboring to free a wagon load of medical supplies hopelessly mired in a boggy road and asked whether they needed assistance, only to be told "Bugger off, Yank", then responded with an extended middle finger, so it is with loosely-knit cells of rogue bikers throughout the Old South who have sworn a blood oath to go to Sturgis, Mississippi on Saturday, October 8th, 2011 whether or not their presence is officially sanctioned by some self-proclaimed authority. And the lesson of March 5th, 1770 is not lost on us, when that same company of redcoats asked shopkeeper Thomas Eddington the meaning of the gesture given to them by Byrd, demonstrating thusly and sparking the Boston Massacre. I'm just sayin'.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Ret50
Cruiser

well i screwed that up..was going to quote Roosterboots about his earlier post,,did you ever have a problem meeting the "minimal word count" for any of the assigned essays you had in school...that was one of the best examples of "adjective fluff" that I have seen in a long time...good job,,

Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Sturgis South started out great, with some big name entertainment. But, over the years the entertainment kinda dwindled down, and there ain't squat to do. I think an a year or two, the townfolk will be wishin they had invested a wee bit more into, what was once, the biggest thing to come to Sturgis Ms., since the railroad! ( and that kinda petered out too).
Sometimes you got to make your own luck!

Last edited by Harleybass; 08-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it don't make money, it ain't on the list.

Why is it the biggest bestest bike rallies are gauged on how much there was to do and see and buy? The times I remember most fondly are the ad hoc meetings, pointless rides down the Natchez Trace, finding old friends and discovering Ratliff Ferry's restaurant isn't always open. I can't tell you what I bought at last year's Sturgis South, but I have a vivid memory of a trike made out of the *** end of a VW bug, heat prostration, and a huge, cold, free Gatorade from the roving medical team. The best get-togethers are the gatherings of gray old eagles, showing off their new metal and their improbably old rebuilds, and making plans to do it all again next week.

I'll be at Sturgis, Mississippi on October 8th, 2011, looking for some place to get a cold soda.

Roo!

Quick Reply: Sturgis Mississippi