General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My weekend experience w/ Howard and Ohlin shocks (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011 | 12:57 PM
PhatHarley4Me
|
Tourer
Thumbs up My weekend experience w/ Howard and Ohlin shocks (long)

Let me start by saying like most of us, we want the BEST of the BEST within reason of cost. Unfortunately, while doing so we buy things and realize it's not right, sell it and buy more. Fast forward to the SHOCK arena. Like many others, I've tried a few different types over the years trying to get the right one for my riding style and use.

Note: I ride a 2006 Street Glide

I'm leaving next week for 14 days, riding to the WEST COAST from Florida. Obviously, I want to prep to ensure my scooter is good to go. So I take a 300 mile run Saturday with gear on etc., making sure all is right, getting the ***-O-Meter guaged, etc. During the "Burger" run I realized my current shocks just do NOT do what I need it to do. With or without bags.

I have the 940's. Purchased them a few months ago. The bottom line... they are better than stock and a few others I tried however, they are just not the best for me. In My OPINION...> they work better for a 200lb + guy/gal who rides with a tour pak solo and/or with a passenger. I have adjusted these puppies every way possible and they are broken in. They are just too "Firm" for me. I'm 185 lbs on a heavy day, 5'4 and do not ride 2 up often. I take a lot of road trips with gear and thought this shock would work. 13" with 12" height...blah blah blah. They are just made for a larger load and I was just "Living with it".

So...with looking at doing 9k +/- miles in a few weeks, I need to get it right. I just hate to buy more F*%&$ SHOCKS!

I read a lot of reviews here about Ohlins from Motorcycle metal and the great customer service. I looked at them in the past but not much. Progressive was the "Buzz" word at the time. Saturday night (11pm or so), I sent an email via the website explaining what I was looking for. Stating that on Monday, because they are probably closed Sunday, expect my call first thing to place my order hoping to receive next week. I then realize he is located in FLORIDA and only a 4hr ride away! Had I only figured this out LAST WEEK, I could of riden there and picked them up in person.

The next morning (Sunday morning), I check email and see a reply from Howard stating that he is up working and to give him a call when I can to discuss on SUNDAY...WTF! So I call around 8 am, we talk and Howard says he will be there all day and if I wanted to take a quick ride, he will install them. Say no more.. I hit the road and off to Davie (250 miles one way).

I arrive at Howard's and we get set up. While the bike was cooling, Howard took the time to give me SHOCK 101. I learned more about shocks than I ever wanted to know! So we discuss the different types and I opt for the #3 - 3 (Yellow - Smile). Yep.. Yellow popping out from behind those Black bags on a blacked out FLHX looks slick. Hey...I'm a full time rider and part time poser (hahaha). The #3-3 is also adjustable and puts my feet on the ground immediately which was a great surprise. A tad bit under 12" after adjustment.

So we install the shocks. I can't say enough about the knowledge shared and care taken during the install. OK.. and the BS'ing in between.

I was expecting to pay and go! Not the case at all. Howard wanted us to go for a ride to test them out. He wanted to be sure they where set up correct and I was pleased with the initial setting. He jumped on his soft tail and we took a ride. Prior to leaving, Howard told me that they are STIFF and will lossen once broken in. I will also need to adjust @ 500 and again at 1000. So, I'm initially expecting a stiff ride similiar to what I had with the 940s.

So off we go and we're on the hunt for rough roads. After a mile or so, I quickly noticed a Softer ride. I confirmed asking Howard that these will soften up even more.... his reply..> Oh Yeah! My response...> SOB!!!!..OK (Smile). We ride a few miles taking some turns and rough roads to get them working and by this time I'm just counted the money wasted over the years trying different shocks. We head back to his garage and he checks the "Guage" placed on the shock and all is good. I load up and head back to Tampa. The ride back was WET but good. It felt planted while taking a few sweeping curves getting onto the Alley and hitting some rough pavement along the way. I turned into the "Rough" road finder on the way back! When I stopped to fuel up, my feet where planted on the ground. No standing on ball of my feet. I AM VERY IMPRESSED THUS FAR!

The true test will be in 2 weeks once the shocks settle in and I make my adjustments. Also, when I pick up a passenger on the West Coast for a few miles.

Howard... Thank you very much! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. What more can I say with getting the right shocks and installed by the Expert!

Last edited by PhatHarley4Me; 08-08-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added the name of vendor
Old 08-08-2011 | 01:55 PM
BillM
Road Captain

Great testimony. How about adding in the title the name of Howard's shop? I have not read anything about him and have the same issue you do. I am 5'6" with a short inseam on an Ultra Classic.

Thanks again for the write up.

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Wish we could hear more like this from other parts of the aftermarket arena , Nice score man . Shocks are the one item that are so misunderstood and overpriced it's ridiculous .

Old 08-08-2011 | 02:07 PM
PhatHarley4Me
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by BillM
Great testimony. How about adding in the title the name of Howard's shop? I have not read anything about him and have the same issue you do. I am 5'6" with a short inseam on an Ultra Classic.

Thanks again for the write up.
Good catch.....Motorcycle Metal. He is a supporting vendor.

Old 08-08-2011 | 03:27 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

I went down almost the same road as you with my 09 Street Glide. Tried the 940s first with the same results - too stiff. Then tried some expensive Race Tech shocks - worse than the 940s. Called Howard to order some Ohlins and they were on back order for two months. Decided to try some Harley Premium Lows. These come stock on the CVO Street Glide. I gotta say, these are some damn good shocks. Probably not as great as the Ohlins but they are much better than anything else i tried, and a lot cheaper than the Ohlins.

Old 08-09-2011 | 11:45 AM
BillM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
... Probably not as great as the Ohlins but they are much better than anything else i tried, and a lot cheaper than the Ohlins.
If I am not mistaken, they ARE Ohlins shocks.

Old 08-09-2011 | 12:25 PM
Cinci-King
Advanced

Nice write up, thanks

I've been looking at the Progressive 440's and the fork cartridges for my RK, because frankly this bike has the WORST suspension of any bike I've ever ridden.

How much did you pay for the ohlins ?