General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 year ago today

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, man, my wife hit a deer in her Geo Metro and it screwed that hood up something fierce. I can't imagine how lousy it would be to hit one on a bike. Makes me want better lighting. My ride to work is dark, at 5:30AM. Kind of scary.

After she hit that deer, I added a pair of those little plastic deals that supposedly scare/let the deer know you're coming. I don't know if they work. Probably a lot like those little plug-in-bug-botherers. I'm not sold on their effectiveness, either.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Deer are a big enough threat during daylight hours...they can be murderous at night.

Which is the main reason I don't ride at night.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I hit a deer 10 years ago on my FLHR...2:30 pm, what friggin Bambi is moving around in the afternoon?????

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost got one on July 4th of this year after our fireworks display. 11:00pm at night on a country road right outside of town after fireworks. Not real bright on my part.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Thank God U ended up OK..

I/We have also all but quit riding from 1hr before sunset and later..

As U know them suckers come from nowhere.

Here in the flats of IND we have corn fields and woods every where for them critters to jump out in front of us.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 PM
khill1984
Intermediate

Big daddy,

Feel some of your pain; a week in a half ago i got taken out on my heritage by a buck at 6 am on my way to work. Came over the peak of a hill and saw it and its horns coming from the side. Actually hit the tank and me and tossed me off the left side. Ended up with cracked ribs, a badly bruised lung, sprained ankle, and some road rash. Bike is in the shop, just happy it wasn't any worse, really happy he didn't get a piece of me with his horns. Glad my angel was on my shoulder that morning. It is great that you and the wife are back up and going. Can't wait to be healed up and back on my scoot.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to hear your both okay; That's the main reason I don't like riding at night...

like the other person said...as fall approaches, that gets harder to do, have to put the bike away earlier and earlier.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Bigdaddy10
Advanced

Originally Posted by khill1984
Big daddy,

Feel some of your pain; a week in a half ago i got taken out on my heritage by a buck at 6 am on my way to work. Came over the peak of a hill and saw it and its horns coming from the side. Actually hit the tank and me and tossed me off the left side.
Ended up with cracked ribs, a badly bruised lung, sprained ankle, and some road rash. Bike is in the shop, just happy it wasn't any worse, really happy he didn't get a piece of me with his horns. Glad my angel was on my shoulder that morning. It is great that you and the wife are back up and going. Can't wait to be healed up and back on my scoot.
. Glad to hear your not any worse than you are, cracked ribs suck. Make sure you do your breathing exercises religiously, I did them and still ended up back in the hospital with pnuenamonia and they drained over a liter of fluid from my lung. Hope you heal quickly and get back on your bike.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigdaddy,

Glad to hear that you both came out of it ok and are back in the saddle!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you both survived the crash, and have recovered, and really great to read that you're both back on the bike and riding.

Sounds like good advice to avoid night riding especially in remote parts of the country where deer and other animals are out.

Hope you and your wife had a drink together to celebrate your "one year anniversary"! Good health and ride safe!

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy10
One year ago today, my wife and I were in the back of an ambulance heading to the hospital after hitting a deer with our 07 ultra. I think one of the worst feelings in the world was laying on the side of the road knowing my back was broken and not being able to see if my wife was ok, as she lay about 20 feet away face down and not moving. The second thing I hope I'll never have to hear was the sound of my sons voice when the next day I called him and told him we had been in an accident. I ended up with 5 broken ribs back by my spine and some chipped vertebrae along with a severly bruised lung, momma had a pretty bad concussion ( thank God she was wearing a helmet) road rash and 10 staples in the back of her head. The bike was totaled, which we were doing around 50 when the deer jumped out in front of us. The new 010 we bought has about 6000 deer free miles on it and we still love to ride, we just avoid night riding. I'm really thankful that things didn't turn out any worst than they did and I hope you all stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: 1 year ago today