General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging my cell phone while riding??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
MrsDowFire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badwhine
You would do better to charge your riding skills!
Maybe this is why I never realized I had one...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsDowFire
I just went and looked and okay...I'm a big idiot.....i didn't even realize it was there. How bad does that make me? So sorry...so now I can just plug my phone into that.

I may never post here again....
No worries. You're not the first one who didn't see the cig lighter. Happens fairly often. I hope you're not serious about not posting again?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I just went and looked and okay...I'm a big idiot.....i didn't even realize it was there. How bad does that make me? So sorry...so now I can just plug my phone into that.

I always park in locked left position.Took me 3 months to find the lighter. Only found it cause I was bored and looking to clean the trees and when I moved it off of left lock, I was like, "cool, a lighter, now I don't need tht part from O'Reillys".
I haven't used it to charge the phone when moving, but I have been told you can scratch your bike's tank on left turns with charger in.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted a USB power port to the flat spot on the neck of the frame. It's very out of the way and hidden. The I bought is supposed to be waterproof. I got it a JP cycles. Link: http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP.htm

Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I always park in locked left position.Took me 3 months to find the lighter. Only found it cause I was bored and looking to clean the trees and when I moved it off of left lock, I was like, "cool, a lighter, now I don't need tht part from O'Reillys".
I haven't used it to charge the phone when moving, but I have been told you can scratch your bike's tank on left turns with charger in.
I use Flush Mount Dual USB chargers in my Jeeps for a cleaner look . This would also help this as really just a small part of the cord sticks out past the socket. Verizon sells them but I got mine off E-Bay

Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Something like this http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php mounted maybe to the console next to the odometer reset button

Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That's pretty funny. You can also buy a 20 dollar kit from HD that mounts on your right side electronics cover. You could have 2!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
MrsDowFire
Advanced

Originally Posted by Plow64
No worries. You're not the first one who didn't see the cig lighter. Happens fairly often. I hope you're not serious about not posting again?
no, i was sure hoping it wasn't all that bad to not have seen it after 1 year. I probably hold the record so it's all good.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, i was sure hoping it wasn't all that bad to not have seen it after 1 year. I probably hold the record so it's all good.
Glad you found it. Like I said, happened to me too. Now.... As far as having it a year and just finding it - yup, probably a record hahaha

My iPhone charger doesn't hit my tank but it's small. Go to your local flee market and see which one has the shortest plug. If that is even an issue with your current charger.

Oh, one more tip. I think you mentioned having your phone on your tank. Try to get creative with the cord and don't let it lay on the tank. It will rub the paint and is a serious PITA to buff out. Just sayin!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
MattInFla
Road Master

Originally Posted by Plow64
I would assume that you could plug your phone's car charger into your SG's cigarette lighter socket and recharge your phone. Can anyone verify that?
You have to be careful about plugging chargers into the cig. lighter plug on the fairing. Not because of any electrical load issue, but because the charger may be physically too large and hit the tank when the bars are turned all the way over to the left.

Matt

Quick Reply: Charging my cell phone while riding??