General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever hit a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 12:06 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Ever hit a dog?

Man, you gotta stop riding through the woods. Stay on the road!!
ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

I've hit two on my Road King and one deer.

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:13 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

Almost hit a wild turkey passing through western Oklahoma one time..........that woulda been a mell of a hess.................................

Old 11-21-2006 | 12:40 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

I have never hit a dog on a street bike, but I did run over a big groundhog 2 years ago. I just lifted my butt off the seat a little and hit the throttle. Killed the ground hog but I was ok. I have hit dogs on some dirtbikes and did the same, just nail the throttle, never hit the brakes, it could throw you off balance if your wheels lock.

Old 11-21-2006 | 12:49 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior

I hit a dog coming back from town in an airport courtesy car. I really did feel bad as I am a big dog lover.

Old 11-21-2006 | 01:18 AM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I've always been told that the best defence against a dog is a good set of air horns. I've never hit a dog, but a few years ago I was leaning hard in a curve when a cat ran out of nowhere. I missed it with the front tire, but hit it with the back tire. It nearly took me down. The last thing I saw of the cat it was jumping about 3 feet in the air. I got off the bike and shook for a few minutes, got back on the bike and headed for home. Another time I almost hit a turkey when it came out of the woods in a national park. Where I work is a game reserve and I always worry about deer.

Old 11-21-2006 | 02:29 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Never hit one on a bike but I had a german shepherd run out on the highway one time and I smacked into it full speed. The little bastard busted the grill on my S-10 pickup and I was pissed.
Oh yea he died too so I decided to leave him alone and not punish him.

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:16 AM
TRITON
Road Master

This was posted by BryanTTM back in May. This thread reminded me of it, so I thought I would revisit it. Made me laugh My A$$ off!!! If you want to see the original thread do a search for "buzzard". The title is "DO NOT DO THIS". HAHAHAHA still laughing....

"while riding on a country road recently, i saw a buzzard gettin lunch in my lane....he rose to fly and was headed straight down the road, same direction as me....lumberin on at shoulder height...i was doin 60 or so....i punched him....damn near took me down...PLUS, he $hit on me....buzzards must weigh alot cause i thought i'd dislocated my shoulder......i have absolutely no idea why i did that, worse than a damn kid...i wont do it again tho"

Old 11-21-2006 | 03:53 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member

beats spankin a monkey

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:04 AM
TRITON
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Qball

beats spankin a monkey
That's AWESOME... from now on when I refer to spankin the monkey, it will be known as "punchin the buzzard".

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:36 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Nightrider2

YES I've hit a dog before, MY OWN DOG![:@]! I was riding a Triumph 650 to and from work, he would sit on the corner, in the afternoon, and wait and listen for me. Then, as I would go up the hill, he'd run along side of me. One day, for who knows why, he decided to go from the left side to the right side of the bike. 2 words BUMP, BUMP, right over him. He was a medium sized dog, i hit the brakes AFTER going over him, he was laying on his side eyes wide open. I didn't know what to do, so, i just slowly carefully felt him all over and blew a little breath into his muzzel. He started moving his eyes, and moving around a little, so, i picked him up, carried him home. He was fine, BUT, when i started the old Triumph up after that, he was GONE, to the back yard, where he'd stand and shake for a while. PTSD i guess. No, i didn't go down, learned a good lesson, you can't trust even mans best friend.
Sorry for laughing [sm=gears.gif]at ol' Retread! LOL

Quick Reply: Ever hit a dog?