General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever hit a dog?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 12:45 AM
Bighorse
Road Captain
Default RE: Ever hit a dog?

Eastern..You should've wired that rabbit to your exhaust and in about 15 minutes it would have been yummy in the tummy.

Old 11-13-2006 | 12:46 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

When I started riding in the 60's, I came slowly swooping around a corner on a residential street and a big dog had just stepped off the curb and in an instant he was swooped up on my front fender with rear legs on one side and front on the other. A nice neighborhood dog and he just looked up at me and I looked down at him while I was doing the swervies to stop. Then after stopping the dog hopped off and continued on his merry way, no worse for wear, as though nothing had happened![&:]

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:02 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

ORIGINAL: Bighorse

Eastern..You should've wired that rabbit to your exhaust and in about 15 minutes it would have been yummy in the tummy.
Yeah, that's a thought, but I really hate messing with the road grit.

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:50 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I ran over a dog about 20 years ago. It ran out into the street right in front of me. I just braced myself and ran over it with both tires.
I had enough sense not to hit my brakes. It didn't put me down and I don't even know if I killed the dog. He had gotten up and was heading toward the sidewalk when I looked back.I would guess it was around 40 lbs.
I have had other dogs start to run toward or along side when I had my chopper with loud pipes. When they get close I would pull in the clutch and rev the engine. The sudden blast of noise startles the hell out of them. I had one dog roll over on his side and bounce against the curb as if I shot him. The Fat Boy SE I have now has a real loud exhaust, but I haven't had a dog chase after me on it yet.

Old 11-13-2006 | 07:50 AM
hdl
Novice

I hit my friends dog when I was in high school, about 25 years ago. It was a small "yip yip" dog and I was on my 125 Yamaha. I went right over the top, felt like a bump. I was going about 30 mph.

A local couple on a GoldWing were killed when a dog went under their bike about 5 years ago.

Old 11-13-2006 | 10:15 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Boy that was have been one deaf, dumb and blind hawk!

Old 11-13-2006 | 10:28 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I've hit two on my Road King and one deer.

Old 11-13-2006 | 10:35 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never hit a dog, but I have beat the hell out of a *****..... cat..... or two. hehe. [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 11-13-2006 | 11:00 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, slow down and gear down and then at the last second hit the gas hard. He won't be able to react fast enough and you will miss the collision. (If you do it right and you're lucky)

Old 11-13-2006 | 11:08 AM
redscout
Road Captain

Hit a dog on my Indian one time. Going about 70, about a 60-70lb pit-bull type dog. Missed it with the front wheel by mere millimeters, but caught it with the left peg/shifter. Ripped the peg and shifter right off the bike, forced the linkage into the tranny requiring a complete rebuild of tranny. Hurt my knee, but didn't go down.

All that neat advice I saw on here was pretty worthless. This dog came out of hiding in a yard with no time to react in any way except to clamp down on the sphincter muscles...

Had to ride it home about 20 miles in 5th gear.

Quick Reply: Ever hit a dog?