General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what harleys did Ness design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You met the showman you haven't got a clue about the real Ness trust me ......................... You really think he made all his early money from bikes ? Have another snort please , plenty on the mirror .
Didn't say anything about how he made his early money. Only commented on my experience with him, which obviously is different than yours. Don't do the coke thing, or any other drugs thank you. Did enough drugs when I was in college in the late 60's and early 70's, and have been riding a long time. I also appreciate the contribution of innovators of other brands of motorcycles and respect what they have done as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
I don't know Arlen personally and/or wish him ill. I actually liked his diggers and the springers he used to sell back in the day were good quality.
He lost my respect in late 80s-90s when he started to build OCC style crap and when he, Perewitz and few other "designers" had their Hampsters MC thing plastered all over Easyriders mag.
That was the turning point for me and many others. It is a crying shame that so many REAL chopper builders were completely overlooked while he and couple others were gloryfied.
Indian Larry and Jessy James got lucky and got exposure, but there are so many others that "new bikers" will never know.
Guys like Steg, English Don, Sugar Bear, Dick Allen, Denver choppers, Mondo ....
how many will ever know name Ben Hardy ??

Lot of overlooked talent in that group , your so right . I've met some seriously talented people in little out of the way shops all over the world that will never be known outside of the area they live in . It's all the media hype anymore not skills Ness is living proof of that .

Don't get me wrong I don't care for the man not hate him there's some seriously misguided idol worship going on that wouldn't be if the truth be known about him that's what rub's me wrong . Almost all of his stuff since the early 80's were built by kids in the shop not Ness and if you really look at the early bikes they were crude , everything was surface show and unfinished underneath . Wires hanging , clumps of bondo , chickenshit welds and a long list of this kinds stuff , all about show no quality or rideablity . When you get down to it that's pretty much every American idol now isn't it .

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my part i dont have no idol worship thing goin on i happen to like the stuff he puts out .... Now ain't America supposed to be the land of opportunity and dreams dont matter how you get there .... get there! ... well the whole world over people use people in business and abuse people in business take a look at your bank's how many people have lost everything apart from their dignity which is probably shot to F##k as well ( how do you think the CEO'S are doin nowadays ) ..... most not all companys start off one man bands some remain so and treat people along the way with respect others grow fast as does their fame that's when they loose sight of the ones that were with them along the way and their sole purpose is to become the biggest and richest at any cost ..... now i dont know Ness or his life thats his business not mine .... all of us have at some time or other treated people how we shouldn't have i have and i suspect other's on here have that's part of human nature

Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 AM
REVL33
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
I think most now a days just associate him with Victory. And his son Cory is the one thats in the design dept of those dumb *** bikes.
I'm sure Arlen is not at work, hes prob just kickin back somewhere...
uhh!!! nope he is actually at the shop alot building stuff or just hanging around i see him all the time his brother is the one who sold me my victory.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all boils down to personal preferances. Put an Indian Larry style bike and a Ness bike together and my vote will always go towards the Indian Larry bike. But then, I am not a big fan of the futuristic styling in anything. Give the chance, I would pick a mid 70s Chev of Dodge pickup over the new stuff coming out.

I would love to take a 74 chev pickup body and put a newer drive train etc in it and update the interior. Too bad I don't have a place to do it.