General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before asking a dealer directly, I'm wondering if anyone here knows...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:53 AM
Limit
|
Cruiser
Default Before asking a dealer directly, I'm wondering if anyone here knows...

I'm going to be test-riding a new Road King today, and have got a few questions...

1.) The dealer doesn't have the right color, but their is a dealership about 3 hours away with the color I want. Can the dealers swap bikes at all, can they buy it for me or should I just go directly to the other dealer?

2.) The Road King I'm looking at doesn't have the security package(ABS + Security) or cruise control and I want it. Can they add those on at the dealership or is that from the factory only? (Pretty much only concerned about ABS because I know the other two would be fine). Also, if they add these on, Am I paying for labor and crap, or is that included in the price on Harley's website of $1,195 and $295 for new bikes?

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:59 AM
dc1450
Road Master

They CAN do a dealer exchange, the question is WILL they do a dealer exchange.
The security may be added, I'm not sure but, the ABS is factory only. You will have to find a bike that has it from Harley if you want the ABS. Personally, I think it's overrated but, I'm in the minority here.

Old 08-06-2011 | 08:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

1. Bike swap = yes
2. Security add = yes...ABS = no

ABS is a factory addition & would cost boocoo $$$ to add after bike rolls off assembly. Have them order/search for bike w/options you want.

Old 08-06-2011 | 08:35 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Are there additional costs for dealer swaps?

Old 08-06-2011 | 08:39 AM
scheng32
Cruiser

no doesnt cost extra. I got my 2011 Fatboy Lo a few months ago, and the dealer didnt have the one that I wanted. It took about three week for them to get the bike from the other dealer, and didnt charge me extra. I figure if I was going to spend that kind of money I wanted the color and options I wanted.

Old 08-06-2011 | 09:42 AM
Limit
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
1. Bike swap = yes
2. Security add = yes...ABS = no

ABS is a factory addition & would cost boocoo $$$ to add after bike rolls off assembly. Have them order/search for bike w/options you want.
That's what I figured. I thought I remember hearing that ABS has to come from factory or it costs big bucks. Now the debate to order one from the dealer, or get a RK Classic with all that standard instead. The debate continues!

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Limit
That's what I figured. I thought I remember hearing that ABS has to come from factory or it costs big bucks. Now the debate to order one from the dealer, or get a RK Classic with all that standard instead. The debate continues!
if you're gonna spend upwards of $20,000, then it would behoove you to get what you want. don't settle for less. if you want abs, then don't get caught up in 'new bike fever' and get a bike without it. in 6 months, you'll be saying, 'i shoulda got the bike with abs...'

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

If you really want the ABS, wait for it. I have had it on my last two bikes and it is now on my list of "must haves" for any future bike purchase.

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I would write it down what I wanted and give it to them. Come up with a fair price agreeable with you and them. Expect it sitting at my front door. Could not care less what they had to do to do that. That's how I would do it if I were you. My only problem is I have never got past agreeable with them

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:30 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior

When I worked at a dealer we always had a dealer out of our market area we would swap with. Worked for both of us. Just like the other guys said, get it the way you want it. Its cheaper and its factory stock.

Quick Reply: Before asking a dealer directly, I'm wondering if anyone here knows...