General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before asking a dealer directly, I'm wondering if anyone here knows...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 10:37 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Like I said in your other post, color isn't a big deal....ABS and security IS.

Cruise costs 400 bucks and can be easily added. ABS....cannot be added.(cost is not worth it) The bike either has it, or it doesn't.

MY personal recomendation? Go get the one 3 hours away, and ride it home!

DO NOT skip ABS if you can help it. Months from now you will regret it dearly that you caved in on what you really wanted.

~Joe

Old 08-06-2011 | 11:03 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

You said the other dealer has your color. Does it also have your options? I say make the drive but make sure you try and make a deal local first so you are properly armed and develop a phone relationship b4 the drive. That'll be a sweet 3 hour ride back home!

I bought mine 2 hours away. They made me a better deal, gave me and wifey free t-shirts, and bought us and kids a nice lunch. It started raining halfway home so I got some nice break-in time and an initiation too.

Don't settle on the options. ABS will save your life and will pay for itself in insurance discounts. Security allows you to not have to use the key to lock up ignition all the time anf helps with insurance. I don't use cruise very much but it is definitely awesome to have when I want it.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2011 | 11:26 AM
Pete838
Cruiser

If you can't get the bike you want at the right price at your dealer, go to another one. You'll probably love the ride home, anyway. They're a lot more likely to wheel and deal on a bike on their floor than one they have to bring in.

Old 08-06-2011 | 11:47 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by Limit
I'm going to be test-riding a new Road King today, and have got a few questions...

1.) The dealer doesn't have the right color, but their is a dealership about 3 hours away with the color I want. Can the dealers swap bikes at all, can they buy it for me or should I just go directly to the other dealer?

2.) The Road King I'm looking at doesn't have the security package(ABS + Security) or cruise control and I want it. Can they add those on at the dealership or is that from the factory only? (Pretty much only concerned about ABS because I know the other two would be fine). Also, if they add these on, Am I paying for labor and crap, or is that included in the price on Harley's website of $1,195 and $295 for new bikes?
++++++++++++++++++++
YES on swap.

NO, on ABS. YES on Security.

Why would U even think that something added to a new bike by any business would be free.??? Don't know of anyone in business that does work for free..

Old 08-06-2011 | 11:56 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

From the site, ABS and Security are a package that only costs an additional $1,195.00. It doesn't mention that all that has to be factory installed, but it probably does.

I'd keep searching until I found the bike with the Security Package (includes ABS) and color you want. Then have them get it, or take a trip and get it yourself.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:57 PM
Limit
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oct1949
++++++++++++++++++++
YES on swap.

NO, on ABS. YES on Security.

Why would U even think that something added to a new bike by any business would be free.??? Don't know of anyone in business that does work for free..

Didn't think it would be free. Was wondering if they'd charge me what the add-ons cost on the site (from the factory) since they're getting a sale out of it. That's why I had the $$$ amounts.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:59 PM
Limit
|
Cruiser

I think I'll end up simply ordering one. The one that's 3 hours away doesn't have ABS, although they have a classic (which includes all the options), I'd really prefer locking hard bags and tubeless tires (and for cheaper).

Out of curiosity's sake, If I would get one from a dealer 3 hours away, how does that effect break-in? You're essentially doing the most critical part of breaking in the bike on the way home.

Old 08-06-2011 | 01:24 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Limit
I think I'll end up simply ordering one. The one that's 3 hours away doesn't have ABS, although they have a classic (which includes all the options), I'd really prefer locking hard bags and tubeless tires (and for cheaper).

Out of curiosity's sake, If I would get one from a dealer 3 hours away, how does that effect break-in? You're essentially doing the most critical part of breaking in the bike on the way home.

I haven't investigated the RKs, but doesn't the classic have hard bags, just covered in leather? Maybe wrong.

Old 08-06-2011 | 01:48 PM
Limit
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I haven't investigated the RKs, but doesn't the classic have hard bags, just covered in leather? Maybe wrong.
They are molded "hard" bags wrapped in leather, but I think most people think hard bags as painted, not leather bags with locks. I like the look of the leather bags moreso than hard bags, but I think the lock function is worth it.

Old 08-06-2011 | 02:14 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior

Get the bike you want or you will never be happy with it.

Quick Reply: Before asking a dealer directly, I'm wondering if anyone here knows...