General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Healer Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM
kk0210
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Healer Down

Hospital CEO doctor killed on his HD. I know this intersection and it is a very dangerous place to turn left on a scoot. Prayers to his family. Be careful out there.

WellStar CEO killed in motorcycle crash

By DOUG NURSE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/11/06

The chief executive officer of WellStar Health System was killed Friday when a motorcycle he bought at a charity event collided with a car in Marietta.

Dr. Robert A. Lipson, CEO and president of the health care company, was pronounced dead at WellStar Kennestone Hospital Friday night. He was 60.

File
(ENLARGE)
Dr. Robert A. Lipson

WellStar, a chain of five hospitals in metro-Atlanta, is one of the largest health care systems in the Southeast. Since Lipson took the helm of WellStar, it received the nation's first certification for management of multiple chronic diseases from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the primary health standards-setting agency in the country.

He also brought an open-heart surgery program and a $68 million, 84-bed patient care tower to WellStar Kennestone Hospital. Lipson, who led the company since 2001, had practiced medicine at Kennestone Hospital for more than 25 years.

According to police, Lipson was riding a 2007 Harley Davidson motorcyle westbound on Church Street Extension about 6:30 p.m. when he attempted a left onto Old Highway 41. His motorcycle collided with a 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier driven by Dana Lindley of Powder Springs.

He bought the motorcycle earlier this year at a fundraiser for the World Children's Center.

Police said the accident was still being investigated, so there was no word on whether charges might be filed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Healer Down

How sad............ prayers to the family.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the articles you hate to read. It always seems like the people that bring good to society become victims of some sort.

Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:40 PM
kk0210
Cruiser

I wanted to update on this, the Atlanta Journal Constitution had an article today that talked about the transition to the interim CEO of this hospital, in the article they indicate that a warrant for 2nd degree vehicular homicide has been issued for the woman who killed this doctor in her cage. I wish I knew the details, I know the intersection and assume she blew through the light and t-boned the poor guy. Could have been drunk though.

My prayers are with each and every one of us who ride on this holiday.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
RaeEllen
Stage I

ORIGINAL: kk0210

I wanted to update on this, the Atlanta Journal Constitution had an article today that talked about the transition to the interim CEO of this hospital, in the article they indicate that a warrant for 2nd degree vehicular homicide has been issued for the woman who killed this doctor in her cage. I wish I knew the details, I know the intersection and assume she blew through the light and t-boned the poor guy. Could have been drunk though.

My prayers are with each and every one of us who ride on this holiday.
I don't know if you'll see this, as it was a while ago, but if you wanted to know what happened....

Dr. Lipson was travelling west on Church Street Extension intending to turn left onto old 41.This is an intersection with a traffic light. Miss Lindley was travelling in the opposite direction.We don't know why, but he came off the bike before executing the turn. Neither he nor his bike left his lane.He appeared unharmed at the time and was getting up. Miss Lindley's unfortunate reaction (again, we can't know why) was to swerve completely into his lane. She missed the bike (which is in almost perfect condition) and hit Dr. Lipson instead. There was no suspician of alcohol being involved. She is being charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide, driving on the wrong side of the road, defective equipment (her brakes), and a child safety seat violation.

I'm just looking around the internet to see if there are any updates on the case.

Although you wouldn't know if from many of the articles (referring to his having just bought this bike at a charity event.), Dr. Lipson had ridden motorcycles for over 30 years. He was experienced rider and knew how to take the bike down if it was neccesary.

I miss him every day.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:54 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to hear. Condolences to family and all who knew him.

And I hope they fry the bitch. Give her a couple decades in prison, and permanent revocation of driving priveleges. f'n skank.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
jackj
Banned

very sad, our thoughts and prays are with his family......