General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS kick in at a bad time some times

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011 | 01:25 PM
Bigbob88
|
Tourer
Default ABS kick in at a bad time some times

I have a 2011 Electra Glide Classic limited with ABS and 3 times now the ABS as kicked in while coming to a stop. I notice it happens when I hit one of those raised up sections in the black top I'm glade there wasn't a car right in front of because I would have rear ended it. Has any body had that same thing happen to them?

Old 08-05-2011 | 01:29 PM
vtwinhd59
Tourer

Yes. I have the same prob. I think Harley ABS is a bit finicky. I think it engages to easily. I don't believe there is an adjustment or anything either. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. I think more often than not it's going to save your *** in a wet, gravel, sand, or emergency braking situation.

Old 08-05-2011 | 01:51 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I don't understand why it would cause you to rear end a car if it had been there unless you're not giving yourself enough time to stop. I've gone over a raised part of the road and it kicks in. I just release the lever a second and reapply the brakes. If necessary, keep the brakes applied hard with the abs and you should easily stop in time. I've only hit the brakes hard one time and the abs kicked in. Pretty nifty. I stopped in a straight line -no rear wheel lock up, no skid. Kinda boring but it works.

Last edited by barjbar; 08-05-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2011 | 02:57 PM
crackercap
Road Master

Since the abs is designed to stop you w/o locking up the wheels, how could you rear end a car in front of you if it functioned to early. I am a bit confused. I have noticed some funny things with the abs but not the problem you mentioned. Hopefully someone will possibly have a answer for you..

Old 08-05-2011 | 03:00 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
I have a 2011 Electra Glide Classic limited with ABS and 3 times now the ABS as kicked in while coming to a stop. I notice it happens when I hit one of those raised up sections in the black top I'm glade there wasn't a car right in front of because I would have rear ended it. Has any body had that same thing happen to them?
Might be something wrong with your system.
The ONLY time ABS should activate, is if one of the wheels locks up.
ABS activates to keep you from skidding and thus losing control of the bike.
But it will pulse the brakes so fast you'll feel it. But you will still stop sooner than if didn't have ABS and your tires were skidding along the pavement.

All other times, you really shouldn't even know you have ABS.

Now, if you pulling up to a stop fast enough to skid your tires when braking then might want to look at your braking technique.

Old 08-05-2011 | 03:10 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

The ABS works well.

When you hit a raised bump in the road, it momentarily unloads your suspension and if you're on the brakes the ABS interprets it as the wheel nearing lockup (because your brakes could lock up your wheel for an instant).

ABS in a car will do the same, but you don't notice it as much because a) a car has four wheels and you won't have much road feedback if ABS kicks in for only one wheel; b) a car is much heavier, and more difficult to unload the suspension while going over small bumps; and c) a car has a larger contact patch with the road and won't be as affected by the small bumps that will affect a motorcycle.

It will stop your bike quicker than non-ABS in most conditions, and I prefer it when riding in the rain.

Old 08-05-2011 | 03:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member

I still think a linked system is a better idea myself

Old 08-05-2011 | 03:30 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mike_M
The ABS works well.

When you hit a raised bump in the road, it momentarily unloads your suspension and if you're on the brakes the ABS interprets it as the wheel nearing lockup (because your brakes could lock up your wheel for an instant).

ABS in a car will do the same, but you don't notice it as much because a) a car has four wheels and you won't have much road feedback if ABS kicks in for only one wheel; b) a car is much heavier, and more difficult to unload the suspension while going over small bumps; and c) a car has a larger contact patch with the road and won't be as affected by the small bumps that will affect a motorcycle.

It will stop your bike quicker than non-ABS in most conditions, and I prefer it when riding in the rain.

Well explained.

Old 08-05-2011 | 11:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
Yes it happens. Those that contradict you have not had it happen to them......yet. I wish I could get rid of the rear abs and keep it on the front. You now know why.

Old 08-05-2011 | 11:59 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher
I still think a linked system is a better idea myself
I agree, totally different braking feel with a linked system.Last bike I had was linked and I felt very comfortable with panic braking.

Quick Reply: ABS kick in at a bad time some times