General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS kick in at a bad time some times

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 11:00 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
I was coming out of a AUTOZONE store and when I went over a metal storm great at the end of the drive way I hit the brakes just as I was going over it ( 4 to 5 mph ) and the ABS kicked in and I just about went right out in to the traffic.
And what do you think would have happened without ABS brakes?
Your rear wheel locked up (getting on rear brake over metal storm grate).
ABS "pulsed" your brake and gave you the feeling that you had lost rear brake effectiveness. But actually, it allowed you to remain in control.
Without it, you just might have lost control of your bike when the rear wheel starts sliding.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
If ABS kicked in you were about to have an issue with stopping and the ABS allowed you to stop shorter and more controlled. Let the brakes do thier work, and maybe give yourself a bit more room.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:08 PM
Bigbob88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
And what do you think would have happened without ABS brakes?
Your rear wheel locked up (getting on rear brake over metal storm grate).
ABS "pulsed" your brake and gave you the feeling that you had lost rear brake effectiveness. But actually, it allowed you to remain in control.
Without it, you just might have lost control of your bike when the rear wheel starts sliding.

I don't think it was the tire slipping on the metal part sense the drain was only about 10 in. wide . but again I think it was caused by the bumpy uneven section in the black top drive way. I had the front brake lever pulled back tight and as far back as could get it and it was still going forward out towards the traffic. I wasn't on the rear brake because my feet were down ready to make my stop. It just made me look like a rookie but I have been riding motor cycles 53 years. DAMMM I have to get use to those ABS brakes.

Old 08-06-2011 | 12:27 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

It has happened to me a couple times. Harley has a bulletin out for ABS being too sensitive. I let the dealer perform the bulletin and have only experienced this once since. Have never felt it would increase my stopping distance, just thought it annoying. I'm happy to experience that annoyance once in a while for the benefit that the ABS delivers.

Bulletin # is M-1251
It says only for '09's so I assume it doesn't apply to you. Unless they have updated it or release a new bulletin? I'd guess it is working properly though.

Old 08-06-2011 | 04:49 PM
Bigbob88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dew Me
It has happened to me a couple times. Harley has a bulletin out for ABS being too sensitive. I let the dealer perform the bulletin and have only experienced this once since. Have never felt it would increase my stopping distance, just thought it annoying. I'm happy to experience that annoyance once in a while for the benefit that the ABS delivers.

Bulletin # is M-1251
It says only for '09's so I assume it doesn't apply to you. Unless they have updated it or release a new bulletin? I'd guess it is working properly though.

Thanks- I'll check with my Harley dealer. But I think it's just something I have to get use to with the ABS brakes. I'll remember that my 2011 has sensitive ABS brakes and that is just what they are.

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:06 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Ya know, I've been riding for forty years without ABS and haven't crashed because of improper breaking. I've actually done an endo with my '05 RG with no problems. (not on propose). I have ABS on my '09 and will not have it on my next bike if I can avoid it. I don't like it, it kicks in where it shouldn't and really, if you can brake properly you don't need ABS.

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:27 PM
Bigbob88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dc1450
Ya know, I've been riding for forty years without ABS and haven't crashed because of improper breaking. I've actually done an endo with my '05 RG with no problems. (not on propose). I have ABS on my '09 and will not have it on my next bike if I can avoid it. I don't like it, it kicks in where it shouldn't and really, if you can brake properly you don't need ABS.

I agree with you. I have rode Bikes for 53 years with out ABS and I know you don't jam on the brakes and start a slide especially on a wet road. I learned that my very 1st year on a bike. But I think ABS is going to be a standard part on a bike.

Old 08-06-2011 | 07:38 PM
Ricks Ride
Road Captain

I like mine. I feel that it saved me on an unplanned off-road excursion once.

Old 08-07-2011 | 06:21 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain

I am a big proponent of ABS, but I do know what the OP means.

If you hit a few small stutter bumps it will make your butt pucker. I had the same problem with both my 2010 and 2011 Ultras.

Old 08-07-2011 | 06:47 PM
Bigbob88
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by wingfoot
I am a big proponent of ABS, but I do know what the OP means.

If you hit a few small stutter bumps it will make your butt pucker. I had the same problem with both my 2010 and 2011 Ultras.

YYipp!!That's the way to put it. I'm glade I'am not the only one to have that happen to.