General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTC Ear Plug Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 AM
davehtutk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure Fire ear plugs are the best. I have used these through my entire deployment this year. They cut out extreme sounds but let in speaking voices around you. After degraded hearing from my first deployment 10 bucks was a deal for these. My wife already complains about my hearing and around gun & tank fire they are worth their weight in gold.

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use the earbuds from Walmart that have different size rubber pieces to fit your ear, then I plug them into my Ipod. Mostly good for a fullface helmet.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yellow rubber ones from Lowes. I used to use foam, but I got tired of rolling them between my fingers to put them in and getting them all gross and whatnot. And the yellow rubber ones actually work better anyway, and are much faster to put in.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
I use the yellow E-A-R roll-up ones and they work great. I buy them off the web in a 200 count box. Google them and you can check them out.
Yep,the E-A-R Classics work great.
I also bought a large box of them.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,697 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Most Sporting goods retailers where shooting supplies are sold have a "make your own" kit. You mix a two part putty and work it into your ear. Mine work great, stay in place, no rolling and they were about $12.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rizzo
Most Sporting goods retailers where shooting supplies are sold have a "make your own" kit. You mix a two part putty and work it into your ear. Mine work great, stay in place, no rolling and they were about $12.
I have tried a bunch since I shoot a lot. Liked the custom molded ones, but they just never fit tight enough for me.

Tried the Surefire Sonic Defenders... Best plugs I've ever used. So comfortable that you forget they are there. They three sizes, I went with medium and they fit great!

I won't look to any other plug again... Unless of course its the custom molded noise cancelling, but who wants to spend that much!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Telling you which earplug to wear is like telling you which size shoes to buy. There's just no way it can be done.

Each plug fits the ear differently. You have to find one that matches your ears. I wear them every day at work, we keep about 12 different kinds on hand for just that reason.

My suggestion is to visit a few gun stores and buy single pairs until you find a kind that you like. Gunstores typically carry 2 or 3 different kinds.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 AM
jvalny
Advanced

Oh no, Another oil thread.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Have a brand called Hearos that I bought at a music store and they work good at my second job (security at a music venue) but I just bought these to try out. http://cgi.ebay.com/WISE-Radians-TAN...item588a764710

Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Flinter
Telling you which earplug to wear is like telling you which size shoes to buy. There's just no way it can be done.

Each plug fits the ear differently. You have to find one that matches your ears. I wear them every day at work, we keep about 12 different kinds on hand for just that reason.

My suggestion is to visit a few gun stores and buy single pairs until you find a kind that you like. Gunstores typically carry 2 or 3 different kinds.
That's exactly why I posted the question on this forum--to get a bunch of different suggestions of brands that people like so that I can try them and find a type that works for me. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Quick Reply: OTC Ear Plug Recommendation?