General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Countersteering and Trail Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Countersteering and Trail Braking

I've been closely following the "What are we doing wrong?" thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ing-wrong.html

A couple riding techniques were mentioned in the thread that caused me to wonder if all riders were familiar with the techniques and when they should be employed. I would find it interesting to discuss countersteering and trail braking. What road conditions and riding situations do you attack with these techniques?

Also, proper downshifting wasn't mentioned in the thread either. Do you make effective use of downshifting?

Last edited by Nirvana; 08-02-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana

A couple riding techniques were mentioned in the thread that caused me to wonder if all riders were familiar with the techniques and when they should be employed. I would find it interesting to discuss countersteering and trail braking. What road conditions and riding situations do you attack with these techniques?

Also, proper downshifting wasn't mentioned in the thread either. Do you make effective use of downshifting?
Countersteering is defined as; a method of initiating a turn by a small, momentary turn of the front wheel, usually via the handlebars, in the opposite (counter) direction.

Note that there's nothing in there about steering into a turn. You will obviously need to, especially at low speeds, but that's just steering, and is no longer countersteering.

I would say i use countersteering when turning at a tight radius, or on turns with odd angels in the road. especially on hills and mountian roads. or when parking the bike in a tight parking lot. it allows for a greater angle of turn.

i also use trail braking when riding downhill in mountian roads. you can pick up a lot of speed headed downhill and sometimes i like to push the limits a bit. this requires trail braking, light pressure to the rear tire will slow the bike through the turn and allow you to execute the turn without veering off road.

I also employ down shifting whenever braking or coming to a stop.
this may not be the best explanation, but its the best i coud do.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

King's Ride, that's exactly the kind of information that I think is useful and would benefit all readers.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not familiar with the thread you mention. Counterstearing? Well I've made it safely through every turn I've ever negotiated so I must be doing it right. Trailbraking? Every time I've ever wanted to stop, I've stopped and pretty much right where I wanted to. Downshifting? Well since you brought it up, yep I do it - just a little blip on the throttle (not too much, don't want people to call me a revver) to match engine speed before letting the clutch out each time. I actually have never come into a situation where I felt it was necessary - not even during a panic stop. I think I just do it out of boredom sometimes. Well anyway somehow I'm always in first when it's time to go again.
Under normal daily riding conditions or instances none of the above ever really comes into play - maybe I'm doing it and don't know it.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,488 Posts

Originally Posted by KING'S RIDE
I would say i use countersteering when turning at a tight radius, or on turns with odd angels in the road. especially on hills and mountian roads. or when parking the bike in a tight parking lot. it allows for a greater angle of turn.
Originally Posted by exemexer
Under normal daily riding conditions or instances none of the above ever really comes into play - maybe I'm doing it and don't know it.

there is a lot of misinformation about countersteering and exemixer hit it on the head. at speeds above parking lot speed, you are doing it. whether you know it or not. if you don't believe it, try this. while riding straight down the road, attempt to turn slightly left. your bike will lean right, and drift right. and vice versa.

i'm not sure how kings ride is countersteering into a parking space, unless he is parking very quickly.

Last edited by skratch; 08-02-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm not sure how kings ride is countersteering into a parking space, unless he is parking very quickly.
Me either............we need video!!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skratch is right. Anybody that rides a motorcycle (or even a bicycle) is countersteering at anything above parking lot speed, even if they don't realize it. The problem with not realizing it is that when such a person gets in a bad spot (too hot in a corner), they're much less likely to tighten up their turn and make it through than they would be if they knew to countesteering harder (push on the inside grip or pull on the outside grip) and thereby lean into a sharper arc. Actively countersteering and looking through the turn -rather than looking at where you don't want to go- make a huge difference, and I think failing to do those things is often why folks leave the road in a curve.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Well, since no one so far seems to know what trail-braking actually is;
Trail braking is a motorcycle riding and driving technique where the brakes are used beyond the entrance to a turn and are gradually released up to the point of apex.

The complete description can be found HERE, or on a few hundred other sites if you Google "trailbreaking".

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

The rear brake is "NOT" normally used for trail braking. Trail braking is used to partially load the front forks. An example of where trail braking is useful is in the case of entering a blind or unfamilar corner, and then finding that you have to slow dramatically because of an obstacle in the road. Because you entered the corner trail braking, (before you enter the corner you are using some front brake and slowly release the brake as you enter the corner) your forks are already preloaded and the front brake is already pressing on and creating some braking friction on the rotors. This enables you to be able to apply more braking pressure and avoid the obstacle more safely. Everyone knows the opposite of what can happen if you are not Trail Braking and the forks are not pre loaded and you suddenly grab a handful of front brake in a turn...suddenly loading the front forks and changing the momentum of the turning wheel....Sorry , its hard to explain trail braking in technical laymen terms. Best I can offer. Maybe an instructer can do better?

Originally Posted by KING'S RIDE
Countersteering is defined as; a method of initiating a turn by a small, momentary turn of the front wheel, usually via the handlebars, in the opposite (counter) direction.

Note that there's nothing in there about steering into a turn. You will obviously need to, especially at low speeds, but that's just steering, and is no longer countersteering.

i also use trail braking when riding downhill in mountian roads. you can pick up a lot of speed headed downhill and sometimes i like to push the limits a bit. this requires trail braking, light pressure to the rear tire will slow the bike through the turn and allow you to execute the turn without veering off road.

I also employ down shifting whenever braking or coming to a stop.
this may not be the best explanation, but its the best i coud do.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ing-wrong.html

You can't really lean much in a turn on a cruiser because the pegs are out in front of you rather than under you. This leaves counter steering to initiate a turn. I don't really see how anyone could make it through a MSF course without understanding it or for that matter initiate a turn at higher speeds without it. How do you drive a manual transmission without downshifting?

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-02-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Countersteering and Trail Braking