General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Countersteering and Trail Braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fwiw, I agree with the ****/shinola composition of the posts here. Rather than debate the clinical definitions of these techniques, especially trail braking (trale breaking?), perhaps it would be more useful if people focused on how to learn to brake properly (which a significant number of motorcyclists do not know how to do).

Different people approach the ride different ways. For some, every ride is an opportunity to experiment and to learn; to refine and add to our understanding of our machines, and ourselves. After 30+ years of riding I continue to refine and learn - but that's because when I ride that's what I like to do. It's not everyone's thing - and that's fine.

But if you are that-way inclined, one thing you may want to try is what I like to call a "fourth gear" run. You flat landers may have a hard time finding an appropriate set of twisties to do this. Out west we have amazing twisty mountain roads that make a fourth gear run a nice challenge that will develop a sense of cornering that will lead to a better understanding of braking.

Next time you're on your favorite twisty run try doing it in whatever gear works best - usually third or fourth. Do the whole run without touching the brakes, clutch or shifter. Give yourself one point for each time any of those are used. Do it with your riding buddies if they are up for it. With practice you will find yourself going faster on that stretch of road without touching your brakes than your buddies can braking and shifting all over the place. Once you learn how to ride this way you will be better at judging corner entry speeds, and that will help you learn how to use your brakes more effectively.

Word of warning: get used to having to look for your buddies in your rear view mirror - because they will no longer be able to keep up with you. And if they try, it's good to warn them ahead of time to be careful following you, because even though you're not using your brakes, you'll be going pretty fast through corners. (A buddy of mine sideswiped a car on one of these runs after over cooking a corner on a third-gear run).