General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
Cameraboy is correct.

Rat1 - if you want to sit in line with the cages, needlessly burning the fuel you paid for while you roast in the sun while gaps exist that you can easily and safely slide through, then knock yourself out. I also notice that in your sig, you're riding with only one hand on the bars. Safety first, huh?...

The advice I was given by my Instructor was that lane sharing (filtering) is fine, but get back in line when the traffic moves at faster than a walking pace. And that's exactly what I do. I don't need to be riding near startled cagers...
Part of the riding safety course I took required being able to ride with only 1 hand and that included manuvering around cones, figure 8s and even sudden lane changes.

That and I have carple tunnel in both hands. They become numb after long hours holding onto the bars. So I have to switch up once and awhile to get the feeling back.

You guys split and share all you want. I am just glad I don't have to deal with it anymore since I run regional in the truck which means I only run North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota and the south edge of Manitoba. All places were lane sharing is not allowed and actually not needed.

I am glad that I have places to ride were I don't have to deal with heavy traffic. Hell I can put on 400 miles in a day and not have to worry about much besides myself.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
I am glad that I have places to ride were I don't have to deal with heavy traffic. Hell I can put on 400 miles in a day and not have to worry about much besides myself.
Pretty sure that's all you care about anyway.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

This is the traffic I drive in every day. And this video shows a rider "lane sharing" in a very safe and prudent manner. He's even passing a big rig with room to spare. Nobody needs to move over for him or be inconvenienced in any way. And this looks dangerous?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WM2q...er_profilepage
Shot from my slow moving truck.

Last edited by IAMSWUTIAMS; 08-03-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you what we run in to. There are people here that hate bikes splitting lanes and purposely move their cars close enough to the line bikes can't get through. This is why I personally won't split lanes. The good thing is the carpool lane is always open to bikes. You take a huge chance of getting side swiped or worse.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
This is the traffic I drive in every day. And this video shows a rider "lane sharing" in a very safe and prudent manner. He's even passing a big rig with room to spare. Nobody needs to move over for him or be inconvenienced in any way. And this looks dangerous?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WM2q...er_profilepage
Shot from my slow moving truck.

well it appears the cars are hugging the far left and far right lanes giving the bikers plenty of room to split between them. Here in AZ, people "Cagers" do not give that wide birth between cars.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Glider rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding on either shoulder there is alot stuff that may leave you with a flat. Spliting lanes here in the state full of Massholes East of the Conn. River you will get cutoff,wedged in,spit at have trash thrown at you and a door opened for no other reason than to see what happens. I give the morons on phone or texting a pass those that do it on purpose the ********* that should have been swallowed by their mother are another story.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mi2az
well it appears the cars are hugging the far left and far right lanes giving the bikers plenty of room to split between them. Here in AZ, people "Cagers" do not give that wide birth between cars.
This section of Highway 76 is very congested at rush hour,3-6pm and 7:30-9am, every day. Being that we have Camp Pendleton close by, there are many Marines on motorcycles, as well as civilians, and most cages are very accommodating and have a good attitude about it. Los Angeles is a different story entirely.

Last edited by IAMSWUTIAMS; 08-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
benman
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Touche! Have you ever tried it? Is your "opinion" at least based on some experience?
Yes my opinion is based on what I witnessed while working in Cali over this past winter. I was working in the Walnut area (east of LA), majority of splitters I saw were doing it at normal freeway speeds (60-75 mph) that cannot be safe IMHO. Not being from an area where this is the accepted practice it always caught me off guard. With a very clear set of standards as to when and where splitting would be allowed, it is possible that it could be done in a relatively safe manner. Problem seems to me is that most riders think it OK to split lanes just to get ahead of other vehicles, even when traffic is light and moving at posted speeds or faster. California law says it is to be done in a safe and prudent manor, leaving the open to individual opinion, this is why I think it is a bad idea and unsafe.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

California law says it is to be done in a safe and prudent manor, leaving the open to individual opinion, this is why I think it is a bad idea and unsafe
That's not entirely true. Someone else posted the specific rules, something like under 25mph, and not 10 mph more than the moving traffic, if that traffic is under 25 mph.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
benman
Road Captain

This is where i found this response by th CHP

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right