General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by benman
Sharing lanes is the worst idea ever conceived from a saftey standpoint.
Only because you can't do it in Texas????????

Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 536 Posts

Open your car door on a lane splitter? Good way to f@#k up your arm.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Lane splitting is fine at lights or slow moving jams, however a few years back I was travelling on a motorway (UK) and traffic was kinda slow, 40-50mph and a guy on a crotch rocket went flying down the road weaving between the outer 2 fastest lanes. About 1 mile down the road there was a big jam, when I got there he was dead in the middle of the road with blood poring out of his helmet, shame but I did say at the time he wont last long riding like that! By the way it was a dry warm late afternoon, so weather did not play a part!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Last year I was lane splitting to the front of the stopped traffic at a red light. Here in South Florida these cagers seem to think they'll be car jacked or kidnaped by some drug lords. They take up a car length to 3 lengths between vehicles stopped for a traffic light. Such wasted space which I take advantage of when safe to do so.

Well this one azz hat in a pick up yelled out, "suppose I was to open my door on you"? I yelled back, suppose I was to blow your f**king head off? He gave that some thought and rolled up his window.

The way i see it if a cager is jealous of bikers lane splitting, then join us and buy a mc.
It's a grade school, cafeteria line, knee jerk reaction from some cagers. If they really thought about it, it actually improves the flow of traffic and benefits them. But they can't get past their ingrained perceptions. F'um..get a bike.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Well this one azz hat in a pick up yelled out, "suppose I was to open my door on you"? I yelled back, suppose I was to blow your f**king head off? He gave that some thought and rolled up his window.
Excellent!

Originally Posted by painey
Lane splitting is fine at lights or slow moving jams, however a few years back I was travelling on a motorway (UK) and traffic was kinda slow, 40-50mph and a guy on a crotch rocket went flying down the road weaving between the outer 2 fastest lanes. About 1 mile down the road there was a big jam, when I got there he was dead in the middle of the road with blood poring out of his helmet, shame but I did say at the time he wont last long riding like that! By the way it was a dry warm late afternoon, so weather did not play a part!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Lane splitting at 50 mph is ridiculous. That's about 45 mph too fast. No wonder he crashed.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a grade school, cafeteria line, knee jerk reaction from some cagers. If they really thought about it, it actually improves the flow of traffic and benefits them. But they can't get past their ingrained perceptions.
exactly

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should be illegal across the country unless you are a motorcop on the way to situation.

If people drive correctly and use cushion zones correctly especially at stop lights then it is not needed from a safety standpoint. When stopped at a light, you should stop with enough distance infront of you so that you can get out of the way if needed.

If lane splitting/sharing is so great then I am sure you won't mind one bit if someone rolls up beside you ,in the same lane, in a Semi.

I look at lane splitters/sharers as greedy self centered idiots that don't think they should have to wait or stay with the flow of traffic.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thing you have no power other than a power trip.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was wondering when Rat would chime in with his negative energy. We need more truckers like him on the road.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,690 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
It should be illegal across the country unless you are a motorcop on the way to situation.

If people drive correctly and use cushion zones correctly especially at stop lights then it is not needed from a safety standpoint. When stopped at a light, you should stop with enough distance infront of you so that you can get out of the way if needed.

If lane splitting/sharing is so great then I am sure you won't mind one bit if someone rolls up beside you ,in the same lane, in a Semi.

I look at lane splitters/sharers as greedy self centered idiots that don't think they should have to wait or stay with the flow of traffic.
Spoken like a true cager. I dont think you quite understand what legal lane splitting is.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right