General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to work all over Europe. I don't see how something that works can be perceived as the worst idea ever if it is proven to work. You see here in Belgium they'll slam you hard if you hit a biker. Also, it's legal to split if traffic is stopped but not to go between at more than 15kph. Everyone here expects it and most even welcome it.

BTW, from a safety standpoint wouldn't being on a motorcycle be the worst idea ever?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree that lane splitting is a bad idea. Cars are very unpredictable in moving traffic at any speed. People will change lanes without looking at the last minute and if your are coming up on them or beside them you have no place to go. I would never risk my life with no safety zone for escape. Only reason I would see that is at a complete stop, even then I think cager would resent a biker getting ahead of them. To me it is like passing on the right, it is illegal and dangerous.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Lane splitting is legal here in the UK and expected. Considering we have much more crotch rockets who ride like they are in the MotoGP you dont hear of any injuries related from doing it so it can't be that dangerous.

In fact from a traffic congestion viewpoint it allows cars to move closer together and therefore get more through at a light change !

Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that where it is legal and expected by people in cars it is not an unsafe practice as long as it's not performed at high rates of speed. Where it is illegal and unexpected by drivers it can be very dangerous. I've done it the safe way and the dangerous way.

Last edited by Mr. Wannabe; 08-02-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by benman
Sharing lanes is the worst idea ever conceived from a saftey standpoint.
Do you have statistics to back that up, or are you just tAlking out yer azz?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was involved in lane splitting here in Louisiana Saturday not by choice I was on a 2 lane road heading east meeting a west bound car in a curve with double yellow center lines when a red car behind the west bound car pulled out to pass him. Before I could move to the side of the road the passing car moved to the side making me having to go between the two on coming cars. Had I been in a cage I am sure there would have been an accident. I don't know why folks have to pass on solid yellow lines and not being able to see around the curve. That's extream lane splitting.
Needless to say I almost had to go home and change my paints. It certainly took the fun out of my Saturday ride.
Don Enlow (flylow)

Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM
z06elmo
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i couldn't imagine riding without lane splitting. having ridden in CA for a while it just seems natural.

In california there isn't a law that says lane splitting is legal, nor is there a law saying it's illegal. in terms it's called lane sharing.

A cop could technically pull you over for going from one lane to the next back and forth for improper signals etc.

In any case, you should lane share with good judgement. Going 40mph when the cars are stop and go isn't smart, neither is splitting cars at 80mph either.

Here in CA, there are those that move over as you go by, then there are those that block. Then there are those that intentionally will try to hit a motorcyclist as you go by.

Getting sideswiped isn't as likely if you are splitting between two cars. B/c the car would hit another car if they were to change lanes.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a bad idea in moving traffic, but not in stop and go, or at lights, IMO.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
bswearingen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Last year I was lane splitting to the front of the stopped traffic at a red light. Here in South Florida these cagers seem to think they'll be car jacked or kidnaped by some drug lords. They take up a car length to 3 lengths between vehicles stopped for a traffic light. Such wasted space which I take advantage of when safe to do so.

Well this one azz hat in a pick up yelled out, "suppose I was to open my door on you"? I yelled back, suppose I was to blow your f**king head off? He gave that some thought and rolled up his window.

The way i see it if a cager is jealous of bikers lane splitting, then join us and buy a mc.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting- One thing CA gets right