General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Writer Blowing Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Service Writer Blowing Smoke

Had been considering upgrading the cam in my bike and asked a service writer at a Harley dealership about a cam recommendation, etc. I mentioned that I'd like a bit more power in 6th gear at 60+ mph. He proceeded to tell me that I should never, ever use 6th gear below 70mph as it would be lugging the motor. I had news for him. We have miles and miles of long, straight and flat roads around here and my Dyna, riding one up is comfortable in 6th most of the time and will even accelerate for passing. I know when the engine is lugging.

Then when I mentioned that I had a Power Commander V ECM he said I would definitely need a Harley Race Tuner and the PCV could not be mapped to accommodate a cam. Said it was ok with my V&H pipes and stage one air cleaner but would be nothing but problems if a cam was thrown into the mix. An email to the DynoJet people confirmed that the PC-V could be mapped to accommodate any modifications made to the engine. He just cost the dealer about $800 worth of parts and service work.

After reading numerous threads about incompetent service managers maybe it's time that Harley started a training and testing program. Only way to get a service manager job would be earning a certified manager patch for their shirt.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better yet, do the cam replacement yourself. It will save you the labor costs and you will benefit by getting to know your bike even better.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Actually have pretty much decided to scrap the cam idea. Talked to an indie here that I've come to trust and all things considered I really don't need it. Bike already has plenty of power for my solo riding and other than a bigger grin accelerating from the stoplight the benefits would be minimal. I tend to agree. Most of the time my feet are up and I'm leaning against the back rest just cruisin and enjoying the sights and smells. A quick downshift into 5th when needed is no big deal. If I was 24 instead of 74 it would be a whole different ball game though.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
Actually have pretty much decided to scrap the cam idea. Talked to an indie here that I've come to trust and all things considered I really don't need it.
I agree with your indie. I'm happy with my setup, which is almost the same as yours (V&H, PCV), a quick downshift into 5th is all I need if I need any zip while passing, etc. And no, I'm not lugging the motor while in 6th gear.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as service writers go (and dealerships in general), I'm really losing patience. Yeah, yeah, yeah, they whine about being damned if they do, damned if they don't. Well, it's the same for the customer too.

Sometimes I'll go in there and tell them exactly what I want done. And they'll do it. But on other rare occasions, I might need some advice from them (especially on these new bikes), and have to trust what they think. But when I do that, almost 90% of the time, I find out they're full of ****!! Which means they've deliberately lied to me or they're too ignorant to know any better. Either case, they can go to hell.

Example, I take my bike in for a simple clutch adjustment (only because they cranked the jam nut down to 10,000 ft lbs, at least), so I figured they did it, they can get it loose.

Anyway, the service writer comes out and while inspecting my bike leans down and twists my drive belt. And says, "Oh man, that belt is WAY too tight. You might want them to adjust that as well." I looked at him and said, "You know, they get tighter when hot, right?" He just looked at me and didn't have a response.

My belt is fine. I checked it doing my 5k service (also when I noticed the jam nut issue). If anything, it's a tad loose. So, if I'd had went with the service writer, they'd have probably loosened the belt even more!!!!! Especially if they put the bike up a little hot, of which I know they do because they're so busy.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Like I told my buddy, you need to either do 100% of your own service work, and I mean everything, as in never taking it in for service OR buying an extended warranty and trusting them 100% by taking it in for everything, and try not to think about it too much and say f'ck it, and just ride the thing.

And this isn't an isolated incident. I've lived in 3 different states since adulthood, and have had the same crap to deal with at all the dealerships throughout the years.

ok...rant over.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-01-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Well if you already had you opinion before you went to the dealer why waste their time. With most you guys a dealer is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I am not a dealer but you should not use 6th gear until 70mph you are lugging the motor.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
BillM
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A service writer is not necessarily a tech. They may know how to write the work up and what all that involves, but may not be an actual tech/mechanic. If you want to know what cam to use to accomplish this or that, I ask a mechanic. I am no mechanic but I am sure I could write the work order up and order parts and what-not. Heck I am a service writer, for all intents and purposed, now for the company I work for. Kind of like asking the bag-boy how much it would cost to have some steaks cut. That is just my .02 on it.

As for lugging the motor in 6th, the owner's manual says that you can shift into 6th @ 55mph

Last edited by BillM; 08-01-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lugging the engine is a function of insufficient engine speed, not wheel speed.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually have pretty much decided to scrap the cam idea. Talked to an indie here that I've come to trust and all things considered I really don't need it. Bike already has plenty of power for my solo riding and other than a bigger grin accelerating from the stoplight the benefits would be minimal. I tend to agree. Most of the time my feet are up and I'm leaning against the back rest just cruisin and enjoying the sights and smells. A quick downshift into 5th when needed is no big deal. If I was 24 instead of 74 it would be a whole different ball game though.
Good for you, stay out of the motor and your bike will thank you in the long run.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

+2 Now go buy yourself a nice cold beer with all the money you still have.

Quick Reply: Service Writer Blowing Smoke