General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet security

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 04:32 PM
schumacher
Club Member

If I have no place to store/lock a helmet, I'll carry it in

Old 08-03-2011 | 05:00 PM
pottsy
Road Master

I personally don't worry about it. I only take it in, to keep the damn thing from getting so hot sitting in the sun.

If you're really worried about it get this, http://www.foxcreekleather.com/121-o...-hang-and-lock

Old 08-03-2011 | 06:48 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

On the Deuce I padlock it to the clutch cable by the d-rings. On the Ultra, if the tourpak is full I padlock them to one of the chrome cable guides I put under the tourpak. They are threaded so I used them to replace the nuts that fasten the tourpak to the rack. Got them from JP I think.

Old 08-03-2011 | 07:19 PM
monstead
Club Member
From: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....

I use this sometimes http://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-.../dp/B000WJYMMQ you can get them at most H-D Dealerships. Just not worth the risk of having my helmet stolen. I live in Dallas, so that may have something to do with my paranoia. Really depends on where I'm going, how long I'm going to be inside, and which helmet I have. If I go to Strokers...I don't lock my helmet.

Generally though, if I'm going inside to eat or something, I'll carry my helmet and just use it to carry my glasses/gloves, etc.

I have a bike lock I sometimes carry if I'm not wanting to carry my jacket...then I just feed the cable through a sleeve. I usually wear a ff Arai, so I'll feed the cable through it as well.

Bike shop here in Dallas said they get someone in almost daily replacing a stolen helmet. They do cater to sport bikers though, so most of the helmets tend to be ff with graphics. Can't imagine a 1/2 or otherwise basic helmet is a high-theft item.

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:51 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

No point in locking it to your scooter, any moron low enough to steal it will be dumb enough to cut the strap.

Old 08-03-2011 | 11:02 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

I usually put it over the right grip or hang it from the right highway peg or sit it on the back seat... if someone wants to take my nasty *** lid they have other problems. And they'll soon get my cooties...

Old 08-09-2011 | 02:21 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

My ratty old bell full face, scratched up, with stickers, etc. was stolen off of my bike within 1/2 mile of my HOUSE last week. The thing was nasty and it smelled like my sweaty head.

I can't believe someone would want it, and I figure since it was a POS it was safe from being swiped.

But nope. It was too good to pass up for some junky.

I have to wear my wifes SHOEI (luckily just black - no pink crap). I spent my new helmet budget on a new pair of geogia boots. I'll wear the shoei and ask santa for a new bell.

The thing is, no way can someone in my town wear this helmet around. Its mine and now a lot of people know its missing. There is no other helmet like it. There's a chance it will come back to me and that means the new owner has some 'splaining to do. Forgot about if I see it...

I got the harley lock off of ebay for my crash bars, and I will cover the bike now. Maybe next time I park it I will put a game camera in the trees. I am mad on principal.

Old 08-09-2011 | 04:22 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer

Some folks will steal something just for the thrill and have no need/use for the item.

If I don't have room in my tourpack for my Shoei full-face ($400) I secure it to the bike with a cable gun lock I got with my last Glock. It could be cut pretty easily with a pair of bolt cutters but it will stop the "thrill stealers".

Old 08-09-2011 | 06:07 PM
CSP067
Tourer

I was actually gonna ask if anyone had theirs stolen, but someone else answered that with reference to some other threads. I don't lock mine, and it's a Shoei. I'm pretty sure if anyone really wants it, they'll find a way to take it, but I'd better not ever see it again!

Old 08-09-2011 | 08:43 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain

If I had a nice, full face Shoei, I think I'd have to lock it, cause it would take me wayyyyyy toooooooo loooooooong to buy another. And I would love to find some punk messing around with my bike/helmet. I think I have that SOA video clip pretty well memorized

Quick Reply: Helmet security