General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet security

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011 | 12:45 AM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Arizona
It depends. If it's my old battered HJC half helmet I hang it on the right grip. If it's my $220 Shoei RJplatinum it goes into the restaurant with me and sits on the seat beside me. If I'm at Walmart it rides in the shopping cart while I shop. Same with my $500 Fox Creek leather jacket.

The odds of it being stolen are directly proportionate to how much the helmet costs and to how much you can afford to replace it.
Exactly!

Old 08-02-2011 | 06:52 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

My current helmet is on it's third steamy, sweaty South Louisiana Summer. If someone wants to put that thing on their head they are welcome to it. I usually put it on the seat.

Old 08-02-2011 | 07:14 AM
kzoo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redbeard
I use this cable lock from Remington: http://www.remington.com/product-fam...arm-locks.aspx

Same here but mine is yellow and says RUGER!

Old 08-02-2011 | 07:21 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

When I first joined the forum there was a thread about this and someone suggested a bike lock from walmart. I bought one, it was like four bucks. I have never used it.

Old 08-02-2011 | 08:03 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I usually just put the strap inside the saddle bag and let the helmet hang on the outside and lock the saddle bag

Old 08-02-2011 | 10:20 AM
obonaven
Road Master

The point is really to stop someone from making your life a pain while you are out.

Why does someone walk by a car, crack the side view mirror off, and then leave it hanging there? To be a D!ck, not to make any money from it.

So I can see someone grabbing a helmet to play kick the helmet as he is walking along, then in the woods it goes once he gets bored.

If someone really, really, really wanted your secured helmet they'd just cut the strap or take the whole damn bike!

I have a 4' bike cable that I can use to lace thru my helmet, jacket, and the bike frame. It's for my piece of mind and to prevent that d!ick of a kid from using my **** to keep himself entertained. I have never used that cable, since I've never found myself in an area where I felt it was justified.

Old 08-02-2011 | 12:11 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

I was out on a ride with a buddy and we stopped somewhere to eat .When we came out my bike was laying on his. They where both messed up but my tank was dented. The place they where parked there is no way this was an accident. I think if some jerk has the nerve to do that out of meaness then they would easily steal a helmet.

I usually carry mine in where I go but I like the gun lock idea. I have a few Im not using so Im going to put one in my saddle bag. Its a pain to carry a helmet everywhere.

Old 08-03-2011 | 10:47 AM
Martimus
Tourer

My helmet goes on the backrest... and I run a cheap bike cable lock through the chin guard and lock it to the backrest. If someone really wants it, it'll likely take them no more than about 30 seconds to cut through the cable with a decent set of bolt cutters.

Old 08-03-2011 | 12:19 PM
mjrobinson
Cruiser

Gun cable lock.

Old 08-03-2011 | 03:39 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Never had a problem in all my years of riding. For someo reason, people don't seem to wanna steal from a Harley rider. Must be the rep for bein' bad mufuhs.

Quick Reply: Helmet security