General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Middle East

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 PM
davese
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Middle East

HY<

I am in Afghanistan during a year tour and was wondering if anyone has ever bought (if there is a place to buy) a new bike over here and have shipped back to the States?

If so are the bikes cheaper here? Cost of shipping? I am OEF in the Kabul area.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

you should have the aafes new car sales near you (unless they closed them all down). but be careful when dealing with them. when i was in iraq (in 2003-2004) they were selling hd's but about the only deal you got was the same as if you bought it from a stateside dealer, with the exception of a 4yr warranty instead of 2. but, for that little benefit, you didn't pay sales tax (and conversely couldn't finance it) when you bought the bike, but you did when you went to register the bike. sorry, it was hard enough for me to come up with the down payment/reg fees, but to add an extra $1600 for tax would be hard to swallow.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
bigpercentcountry
Tourer

Yeah, from what I could tell the AAFES new car sales was pretty much a ripoff. I was in Iraq this time last year, researching buying a new bike and they were asking about $2K over MSRP or something crazy like that. If I were you, I'd just wait till I got home and buy from a local dealer, or find a good deal on a used bike.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey davese... Thank You for your service!
Unless there is a huge advantage to buying there, I'd say just wait until you get stateside. I can't imagine that you could come out ahead.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.encs.com/harley-davidson/

I bought my Road King while deployed last year in the desert......no dealership in my area so I did everything online. Ended up paying 18,400 for 2011 RK with ABS and Security AND a 5 Year warranty. Ended up saving about the price of the warranty...dealer where it was shipped to said he could come close to the price but not with the extended warranty (this was after the fact when I was about to take delivery)

I was looking right when the 2011's where coming out so I hemmed and hawed a bit and then they said they would throw in the warranty for 300 bucks vs the 1000 they usually charge. I bit and am happy with deal I got. They helped setup financing through Service Credit Union and got 2.9%

No sales tax in New Hampshire so that saved me a bundle right there

ymmv and local dealer may bargain a close price......I asked 4 dealers in my area if they would match and they all said nope, good price through military take it. Like I said ymmv but I was happy with service and deal.....and I did it all online. Ordered in August and I picked it up on Veterans Day

Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
robosmurf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it contact with a rep the overseas car sales people from AAFES. The worst that happens is you have to ignore their e-mails. I got the last 2010 Nightster in the factory and they knocked an extra 1000 and the original price was less than MSRP and got some other discounts on things. It doesn't hurt to try.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 PM
audie_murphy
Stage III

I just ordered a HD from the military sales folks in Afghanistan and saved 1400 bucks while still getting the extended warranty. No dealer I checked with could come close to that.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:40 AM
DommerEOD
Novice

I just ordered mine last week in Kuwait on my way back from R&R. It was the easiest thing I've ever done. Honestly, I've sat in line at the In-N-Out drive-thru longer than it took me to order the bike.

All you need is a copy of your orders and most recent LES. Loan approval if you need one is fast, and great interest rates too.

Everything should be possible to do over Email. I digitally signed for a few things and it was easy as heck.

The guy in Kuwait is an Aussie dude and is way cool. His name's Will and his Email: wskinner@militarycars.com

Any questions ill gladly help you out.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I talked to the AAFES Harley sellers in Bagram and Kuwait, got their emails, etc., but the deals weren't that special. I just waited until I got home and bought a used one.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I talked to the AAFES Harley sellers in Bagram and Kuwait, got their emails, etc., but the deals weren't that special. I just waited until I got home and bought a used one.
I bought a 2003 EG Classic when I was in Iraq in 2003...back then it was a really good deal--no dealer in CONUS could match it. Fast forward to now...I took the AAFES proposal for a 2011 Ultra Limited to my local dealer (ordered through AAFES in Afghanistan), and they not only matched it, they threw in the first service (about 400 bucks), installed the run/turn/brake module, and installed a trickle charger plug, all free. This may have something to do with the current economic situation, but it certainly worked to my advantage. On the other hand, the AAFES folks were easy to work with, and when I picked up the 2003 here in Florida it was a smooth operation, no drama or surprises. BTW...even after you order a bike through AAFES, you can cancel up to the point when the bike is shipped to your designated dealer...and you get the 500 buck deposit back as well.