General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinions (New Rider & Bike Choice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011 | 02:09 PM
dbk1029
|
Advanced
Default Need Opinions (New Rider & Bike Choice)

So I am a new rider and looking to buy my first bike. I have visited several Harley dealers and talked to some people and have received differing answers so I am looking for some more feedback.

I have not ridden before (other than the Motorcycle Safety Course) and am looking for a first bike. I am 6'2" and about 300lbs. I have taken the opportunity to sit on various H-D bikes and find that I feel comfortable on an '04 and '05 1200n Sportster w/ forward controls and the Fat Boy models. So I am hoping some more experienced riders here could give me some opinions and share their thoughts.

Price is a factor (lookinig to spend between 7-10k) and I have seen a few Fat Boys in that range along with plenty of 1200 Sportsters. I'd like to go with a Fat Boy if possible. Some people have told me to start smaller and work my way to a Fat Boy and others have said to start with Fat Boy.

Old 07-29-2011 | 02:40 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

ok, I'm not saying anything about your size... hell, I'm 6ft and 250 lbs..... BUT I can't imagine you could be comfortable on a sportster. back in 2007 I sat on and was able to test ride most of Harley's line. I bought the Fat Boy. it fit me better than anything else. including the touring bikes. I couldn't leave well enough alone in 2010 and swapped the Fat Boy for an older Road King Classic. I liked the dynas with the forward controls, but knew they wouldn't work as a 2 up bike.

here are a couple of questions for you to consider.
1. will you be riding solo? or with a passenger?
2. what will be your riding style? around town with an occasional day trip out of town, or over night - long distance riding?

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a lower milage used bike within your price range.

with a Harley, almost everything can be changed or modified. say, you find a Dyna with mid controls, you really like, the foot controls can be changed to forwards. seats and handlebars are the most common swaps HD riders make.

good luck with your search and purchase.

oh - my advice - buy the bike you would like to be riding in a year or so. I don't subscribe to buy small and move up. life isn't a dress rehearsal, no do-overs.

Last edited by aviator; 07-29-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2011 | 02:56 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

road king or an flh my friend!
hatch.

Old 07-29-2011 | 02:56 PM
N58TB
Advanced

First, welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a subscriber to the 'start small and move up' line of thinking either. I had not ridden a bike since I was a teenager...even then I didn't own a bike, just rode one occasionally. That was 40 years ago.

I took the MSF course and bought a new Fat Boy Lo. It was what I wanted, it fit me perfect so that's what I did. Been about three months now.

I am taking my time, riding within my limits, reading everything I can, practicing, in other words trying to be safe, not do anything stupid and trying to be a good rider. Each week I go further and feel more confident. Haven't dropped this bike once, at least not yet (as he knocks on wood).

So I'm a believer in getting what you want in the end as long as you have the personality to ride within your limits and be safe.

Good luck with your hunt.

Old 07-29-2011 | 03:31 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Welcome to the forum. I am 6'1" and 210 lbs. I had a Sportster for awhile and I don't think you would like it. Get the Fat boy.
Or a Road King.

Last edited by Drilln'Boss; 07-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2011 | 04:13 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hatchetman
road king or an flh my friend!
...... 6'2, 275 ...... 1st motorcycle was the Road Glide ........ we big guys want/need big motorcycles.

Old 07-29-2011 | 04:52 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

You're gonna need a bigger bike than a 1200 Sportster...I was in the exact same situation and wanted a Heritage Softail Classic, so that's what I got (I'm only 6', 200 lbs though). Going on 3 years and NO issues. I would actually suggest you try a Road King due to your size, but I've seen many large people riding Softails as well. Don't go small for your first bike. It will put you in a bind financially when you want the bigger bike after only a couple weeks.

Old 07-29-2011 | 06:13 PM
sphughes
3rd Gear

6'5", 245#, 09 Fatboy. Buy what feels right and you can afford.

Old 07-29-2011 | 07:36 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior

I'm 5'8" 220....
Sportster was a tight fit for me....

To qualify my statements....

I love sportsters!!!! Probably my fav bike....

You need the softails...
Fat boy, heritage, or deluxe...
If not those....
Then the road king or any touring bike...

Good luck...
Dont buy a sportster.... They are just too small for actual adult sized males....

Old 08-01-2011 | 08:32 AM
dbk1029
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the feedback! I really do appreciate it. I am going to look into the Softails and Dynas. EVERYONE I have heard from or talked to has told me to avoid the Sportsters.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions (New Rider & Bike Choice)