General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expensive mistake

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,660 Likes on 2,537 Posts
Default Expensive mistake

Was on call for work, but no accounts for the day, so I decided to throw some of the custom stuff I took off my old RoadKing before selling it on to the NEW RoadKing. Everything was going well, but I couldn't find the headlight chrome trim ring that looks SO GOOD on the locomotive style headlight. So, $39 later I'm preparing to install the new trim ring I bought. I removed the stock trim ring,ripped open the package on the new one,threw the instructions on the floor & proceeded to install the new ring. Tightened it up as tight as it would go,& noticed it was still loose;I could spin it easily. Thought to myself "even though this stuff is rice, the fitment of HD accessories is usually pretty good. Why is there so much excess?" So, I go to the grinder,figgering that I could grind down both ends & then I will be able to tighten it up all the way without the ends hitting. So, I proceed to grind it down,did a nice job, installed it & the fit was not perfect, but much better. The next day (yesterday) I was cleaning up the garage,reached down & picked up the instructions I threw down & glanced at them. Found out your supposed to install the new trim ring OVER the old one for proper fit. So, off comes the custom ring, on goes the stock,then put the custom ring over the stocker, but now it won't tighten all the way 'cause I ground a little off each end and I got about a 1/4" gap that looks like crap. So, back to the dealer (he had 1 left) and $39 down the drain. I felt like a real moron going back there.

Moral: Always read the instruction sheet no matter how simple you think the installation might be.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly modified FL style headlight trim ring CHEAP?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a funny story, but a lesson learned. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Old too fast and smart too late. Ya should be glad that piece was only 39 bucks. Not too mnay things you can buy from HD thats 39 bucks

Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Ah yes...another part for your "Wall of Shame"....I just fubared my furnace draft inducer by drilling a hole in it for the temp sensor to bolt into (the guy at the shop said to do it) then find out that upon removing the sensor from the old one that there is no hole in it. $150 down the tubes.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty cheap f'up. I built model cars as a kid. I always read the instructions.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Known as mans disease,doesn't affect women," when all else fails read the instructions."

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Salesman at the dealership told me HD stands for hundred dollars because that is what you'll spend every time you buy something for the back. Sounds like you got off cheap! LOL!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Been there and done that - Funny story!!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always peruse the instructions even as awful as HD instructions may be and I've learned to follow them and not try to do it my way per experience.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM
farmersemail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL
That's a funny story, but a lesson learned. Thanks for sharing.
+1
I think we all have done this one time in our life

Quick Reply: Expensive mistake