General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie and Lane Sharing in L.A.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
The actual term is lane sharing, everyday I am on the 57/91 to I-5 to downtown. 500 miles since April is not enough seat time. Also if you are worried about who passes you, you are not riding, you are gawking.

Learn slow riding technics first. If you can not controll the friction zone you have no business lane sharing. Once your comptence/skills are second nature then you can use all of your concentration on traffic. Lane jumpers, cell phones, radio jockeys, racers, road hazards you name it. I monitor my speed just fast enough to be out of a cars blind spot. Never stay in a cars or trucks blind spot. Also don't roll up in heavy traffic and feather your throttle and expect the traffic to part like the red sea, you only **** car drivers off.

Last as crazy as this sounds no matter what speed you are traveling do not be in a hurry or rushed, If you are trying to beat the clock you are not paying attention.

Take care and practice.
Exactly!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
crazyinla
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lane splitting in Los Angeles for 27 years and I can tell you that it still makes me uneasy. Recently while just stopped between lanes waiting for an opening on PCH I was sideswiped by a 16 year old and pushed into a panel truck. I agree with all who say that your experience level is nowhere near where it needs to be, but when your comfortable try it at intersections and develop some comfort level before trying the freeways. I believe CHP's say keep your speed no more that 10mph faster than traffic on either side of you and if they get to 25 mph--get back in line. Watch for the mirrors--yours and theirs! You'll hit them if not paying attention.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I've hit 3 mirrors and scratched a fender and each time pulled over to make it right but the offendee never pulls over. **** happens.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And L.A. is the only place I've been where the cages will actually squeeze you as they see you coming, whereas here in Dago they will actually make room for you. Different mentality and stress levels I guess.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
hkfooey
Novice

Don't do it until you feel confident and comfortable - I live in SF and the traffic here is a bad as LA down south...

Be safe brother...

Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
martin14
Cruiser

Here in Italy, if you aren't splitting lanes, the cagers get confused !

Needs lots of practise riding at slow speeds though.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
mike163
6th Gear

I have personally seen two accidents where lane splitting riders got hit by non-signaling lane changers. It made me wonder how much that actually happens. Too much risk for me with idiot drivers here in the SF Bay Area. I will only split if traffic is at a standstill or less than 10 mph.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,074 Likes on 17,940 Posts

lane splitting and staying alive takes a complete different skill set than just knowing how to operate a bike in general . Please if you have limited riding experience don't do it , may look easy and you may get away with it some and that's what is going get you hurt . Your intuitive riding instincts and reflexes are non existent at this point so you'll be worrying about handling the bike and not watching for the " tells " that can be potential danger up ahead . That's as plain as I can explain it .

Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by bleachbro
I'm new to riding, and have been helped a ton by this forum. I've got about 550 miles experience since April.

I take heed to the advice around here about riding within my comfort level, and ignoring the temptation to do things beyond my confidence level. Even when traffic slows down on the 101, I do not have the moxy to lane share (even though it's perfectly legal). As a result I am routinely passed by more experienced riders on bigger bikes who make it look so easy.

I am committed to being safe and staying within my skills - but I'm just curious - what is your experience regarding learning to share lanes? Does it just "happen" one day once you've been riding enough? Thanks for your thoughts!
Do NOT try it until you have a lot more miles under your butt.

Its one of those things that, well, i don't want to say "will just come to you", but in a way it kind of does. When you reach the point where you know without having to stop and think at all that your bike will fit through that space, then you've gotten close to the point where you may want to start to think about maybe doing it at some point in the future when the stars are properly aligned.

I'd recommend you start doing something like that by sliding between two cars when you're the second person in line at a light - and doing it very slowly - and only doing it after, like i said, you know without question that your bike will fit through the hole.

Lane splitting is a good way to turn into a grease stain if you're not experienced.

Truthfully - i wouldn't even consider it until you're on at least your 2nd bike - and you had to buy that 2nd one because you flat wore the first one out.

Yes, the above advice is coming to you from someone who rides a half-ton touring bike in Houston traffic daily, over 25K miles a year, and still wont lane split except at a light, and then only when I'm the third or fourth person in line.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Cool

I've been riding for 40 years and the past 30+ here in California. Splitting lanes is SERIOUS business. You have to be 100% alert every second. Particularly on a big Harley 'cause it just doesn't stop as short or turn as quickly as almost any crotch rocket.

1.) You need to be extremely comfortable with how your bike handles in an emergency. Threshold Braking, Sharp Turns at speed and always being aware of your exit route should things get real ugly real fast . . . because they can and will. With 500 miles under your belt I'd be real skeptical of your skills . . . heck, I still question mine.

2.) Watch the heads of the car drivers. Heads turn just before a lane change and this is actually fairly easy to see. But, don't let those double yellow car pool lanes lull you into a false sense of security. If anything the folks that cross the double yellow are trying to do it fast. I suppose they're thinking that that makes it harder for the CHP to catch them.

3.) Try s-l-o-w-y coasting between a line of cars at a stop light to pull to the head of the line. At least the cars aren't moving, and the odds (although not zero), are fairly remote that someone will change lanes. I commute to and from Long beach and Torrance every day. If I lane split on the 405, or if I go surface streets the entire way, and just pull to the front of the line at each red stop light . . . my commute time is identical. Trust me, pulling to the front at each red light is way safer and and far less stressful. Just be careful of a red light that turns green before you get to the front of the line. 'cause the cagers ain't lookin' at or for you. They're focused on that stop light and when it turns green they're all about working on their visual/stimulus response time . . . either that or the cell phone conversation they're having.

4.) Follow a CHP bike when you first decide to start lane splitting. It's like watching the parting of the Red Sea in front of the Leo. Apparently folks do watch their rear view mirrors at some level for a certain profile. I used to have a BMW 1150RT and I even noticed the difference between that and my Harley.

5.) Decide at what speed of traffic it will be OK to fall back into line . . . and then stick to it. Most folks (although not all) use something between 25 and 45 MPH. Also CHP considers anything more than a 10 MPH differential between you and the rest of traffic to be a problem; although I don't think I've ever seen anyone pulled over for that. You'll see squids lane splitting at 60 -70 MPH with traffic doing well over 25 MPH . . . respect them . . . they're helping society by functioning as portable organ donors in waiting.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 07-29-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie and Lane Sharing in L.A.