Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley rental???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 PM
dking909
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rented in Nashville, Colorado Springs, and West Palm Beach while traveling. Kinda pricey but not outrageous. Am picking up a ultra tomorrow to ride to Colorado - its more comfortable than my softail for long journeys.
Heed the advise from other members and go for it. No big deal.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

My job keeps me on the road and I rent a few times a year. I usually use Eagle Rider as they are normally a bit cheaper. They keep the bikes well maintained and have always treated me good. I rented once from an H-D dealer and it was a good experience also.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 PM
UltraRiderLee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Thinking about renting a RKC for the day and see if I like it. Anyone rented before that can tell me the pros and cons of the program? Is it a rip-off?
The old Harley Fly & Ride program is history.....used the F&R program in Miami Albuquerque. Positives were the daily rates were a little cheaper and the insurance was free. Downside is very limited dealerships offered this program. Only (2) in entire state of Florida, Orlando and Miami.

Now, almost all dealerships rent Harleys as they are renting from their own fleets rather than the corporate sponsored fleets with rates running from $99/day for a Sportster up to $150/day for the touring bikes. To save some money, try to rent during the week rather than weekends as the daily rate is a little cheaper, have your insurance company fax a letter to dealership stating your current motorcycle policy covers the rental of a recreational motorcycle. They will than waive the insurance costs. Be ready for a $2,000 block on your credit card credit line for a deposit. Renting a bike is not cheap locally or on vacation but you have to figure in the cost of hauling your own bike to that locale if traveling.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info. guys.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraRiderLee
The old Harley Fly & Ride program is history.....used the F&R program in Miami Albuquerque. Positives were the daily rates were a little cheaper and the insurance was free. Downside is very limited dealerships offered this program. Only (2) in entire state of Florida, Orlando and Miami.

Now, almost all dealerships rent Harleys as they are renting from their own fleets rather than the corporate sponsored fleets with rates running from $99/day for a Sportster up to $150/day for the touring bikes. To save some money, try to rent during the week rather than weekends as the daily rate is a little cheaper, have your insurance company fax a letter to dealership stating your current motorcycle policy covers the rental of a recreational motorcycle. They will than waive the insurance costs. Be ready for a $2,000 block on your credit card credit line for a deposit. Renting a bike is not cheap locally or on vacation but you have to figure in the cost of hauling your own bike to that locale if traveling.
I think the Fly & Ride is still around in a modified form; FLY & Ride.

I'm not sure where you're located but last summer Brian's HD in Langhorne, PA was running a rent all you can for a day for $99. If I remember correctly you could take a bike out for a few hours and then come back and swap for another; I think up to three for the day. They would also credit you the $99 if you bought a bike.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I have never paid more than $120.00 a day to rent. At Eagle Rider or a Dealership and the $120.00 was on a weekend at Cool Springs H-D in Nashville.

I was considering renting an Ultra for a month for the Hoka Hey this year and Chesters in Mesa AZ quoted me a flat $3,000.00 for the entire month of August. It was only after they gave me the quote that I told them I wanted to use it to ride the Hoka Hey and they were fine with that. Even told me that if I had to buy tires they would reimburse me.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ridemx
yes i have rented before i would say just make sure you look the bike over real well before you rent it and mark down any damage i got stuck with a tab on something i did not damage other then that it was a great experience
I agree. I would check over the entire bike including under carriage. Make note of any damage to bike and have rental agent signoff on damage prior to renting. The HD dealer/rental does require a $2,000 up front deposit on bike prior to rental. Your CC card is charged for damage. If you use your insurance you will still need to pay the deductible. A great way to change your bike out for the style of riding you will be experiencing. My rental was an ultra classic for touring the Red Rocks of Sedona and a ride to Grand Canyon with a short adventure on old Rt. 66.

Enjoy the journey
-Ride-

Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you rent through HD and end up buying a bike, many dealers will waive the rental charge.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently had to rent a bike to go to Sturgis. Long story but at the time I rented the moron that was working on my bike had it for 5 months and wasn't finished with it.

Harley has a section on their website where you can see what bikes are available, which dealerships have rental programs (not all do), rates, and for some dealerships you can reserve a rental on-line.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/rentals

Make sure you shop around with different dealerships. The standard daily rate at one of my local dealerships was $99/day. However, past a certain number of days (don't know what that number is) the rate was $75/day with unlimited mileage. The deposit was $1500 dollars but, they never even charged that to my credit card and never ran the charge for the fee until I returned from my trip.

My original intent was to have the bike for 14 days but I returned it two days early. It ended up costing me $972 total for 12 days. Well worth the money spend IMHO. I didn't do it before I left but I recommend taking pictures (with time and date stamps) of any damage to the rental before you accept the bike. If you return the bike with a few rock chips here and there, that's okay. That's considered "normal wear and tear". And, you don't need to wash it before you return it.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Sooowee
6th Gear

I rented an Ultra Classic from Kaua'i HD and had a great experience. The rental rate was a bit more than what the others are quoting, but everything is expensive in Hawai'i. I can't think of a better way to see the island than on a Harley. Go for it!