Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
That's bullsshit. It's more about inexperience than age.
I see no BS in what the man said. Your comment on the other hand is certainly full of it.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Guys how many times did we say holy **** to ourselves?
The lady or man who drifts over.
The dumb fuc who cuts us off then hits the brakes cause he came over too fast?
The deer that's grazing on the side of the road while were flying by at 70 mph?
We run these risks every ride.
Getting tee boned or backing out of driveways or blind corners.
The only thing I can say is keep a constant scan all over as you ride. The minute you go to take your eyes off the road and off your mirrors are the worst times.
Just do your best...live to enjoy the ride....and to make it home safe so you can ride again. Enjoy....

Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yup the one time I went down I came in too hot in a curve. Never had that problem when I used to Sportbike ride?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by arlinsg
No one has mentioned our aging society. It's a lot more likely that someone that is between 50 and 70 to have an medical emergency.
It's more likely for some young punk to have a testosterone emergency.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM
dusty6700
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyrep1
Big Navy mandates that we complete the Basic Rider Course (BRC) before being allowed to operate a motorcycle on any base and by common separate order that requirement extends to off-base as well. Recently, they added the requirement that every three years the rider must complete refresher training in the form of Basic Rider Course(BRC), Military Sportbike Rider Course(MSRC), or the Experienced Rider Course(ERC) as applicabale to the bike and experience/comfort level. They also mandate specific gear to be worn while operating a motorcycle...full sleeves, full finger gloves, DOT/Snell approved helmet, long pants, boots over the ankles, and shatter resistant eye protection. High visibility outer garment for day and reflective outergarment at night are not currently mandatory but HIGHLY encouraged. We take motorcycle safety very seriously so we train to and manage that expectation. We deal with enough hazardous situations on the job, no sense dropping our guard while off-duty. Military riders are not immune from accidents or buffoonery, so some do get injured and some do die every year. However, the per capita fatality rate amongst military riders as compared to the general population is a very small fraction of the non-military riding public. I've been riding about 35 years which includes all of my time on active duty plus many years before I joined. Before it became mandatory, I and many like minded military riders took the ERC at regular intervals just as a little refresher. Can't remember specifically but I've taken the ERC at least five times over the past 20 or so years. Every single time I've picked up a new skill or honed an old one. At the very least, it's focused time to actually slow down and think about riding skills.

Some may not like the idea of mandated rider training and government involvement, I get it. But I for one am extremely thankful that my shipmates and I are subject to these regulations. I know for a fact, both by statistics and by personal experience, that mandated training saves lives and makes us better/safer riders. I've been to enough funerals. If a mandated rider course prevents even one funeral, it's worth the "governmental involvment" in my humble opinion.
First of all....Thank you for your service!!! I'm not saying that i'm the "GREATEST" rider of all time. I'm sure that i would learn some things going through a course! I'm just saying i shouldn't be required!!! I also drove a truck for a living for 10yrs.....my Dad taught my to drive that....not the government! YOU are required because the government has spent a bunch of money on you, and they want protect their investment. My job doesn't require me to take a course. And i sure hope the government doesn't start requiring Joe Public to....because i've taught all 8 of my kids to ride dirtbikes, and i sure hope i'll be the one to teach them to ride on the street also!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzy
also target fixation
Bingo. This, more than anything else.

I regularly run posted 10-25mph corners at 10-40mph faster than posted limits, and have never come close to leaving the roadway. Don't stare at that tree you don't want to hit, because you will. Coming in too hot? Push harder, look deeper.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
The fix for the alcohol statistic is obvious, but how can we fix single vehicle accidents?

Don't worry...they fix themselves. Natural selection.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Guys how many times did we say holy **** to ourselves?
The lady or man who drifts over.
The dumb fuc who cuts us off then hits the brakes cause he came over too fast?
The deer that's grazing on the side of the road while were flying by at 70 mph?
We run these risks every ride.
Getting tee boned or backing out of driveways or blind corners.
The only thing I can say is keep a constant scan all over as you ride. The minute you go to take your eyes off the road and off your mirrors are the worst times.
Just do your best...live to enjoy the ride....and to make it home safe so you can ride again. Enjoy....
Amen. Seems like I have close calls all the time. Overshot curves, once or twice, good thing there wasn't any oncoming traffic. I have "learned" to slow her down a tad.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 07-28-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Learning how to ride would help a lot. I'd guess that at least 1/2 the riders I see on the road don't have a clue about how to properly ride a motorcycle. It's one of those things where a guy gets one, and a week later he thinks he knows all there is to know about riding a bike without ever having read a book or having taken a course. He passed the test to get his license, so what else is there to know?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not doing anything wrong your still alive! ..... it dont matter how many courses you go on how aware you are about your surroundings Kismet and the Reaper have different agendas that might or might not include you that day thats as much as you'll know ..... Life is a mystery to be lived not solved!

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?