Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know what to say. There are more motorcycles on the road but I'm convinced some riders just don't pay much attention to what's going on around them. It also appears that they may think everyone else is doing what they are suppose to be doing and therefore making it safe for them to ride without concern. I see it all of the time.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
toketee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a guy going in to a curve as I was coming out of it. He waved, I looked in the mirror and saw him go straight into the guard rail. Busted him, his wife and the bike up pretty good. Turns out, he had just changed bikes, bought an Ultra. New bike, not keeping focused on where he was going = wreck. Just takes a second of not paying attention to business to have a really bad day.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
I bet if you broke it down by make, a much higher percentage of accidents would occur among the sportsbike crowd, and much lower among the Goldwing & BMW crowd. HD's would probably be somewhere in between.

I'm sure the insurance companies know exactally what the odds are based on your age & the type of bike you're riding.
Not true. Much more accidents by the over 50 crowd on cruisers in our area. 10:1 maybe...just guessing but that sounds about right.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Navyrep1
Big Navy mandates that we complete the Basic Rider Course about riding skills.

Some may not like the idea of mandated rider training and government involvement, I get it. But I for one am extremely thankful that my shipmates and I are subject to these regulations. I know for a fact, both by statistics and by personal experience, that mandated training saves lives and makes us better/safer riders. I've been to enough funerals. If a mandated rider course prevents even one funeral, it's worth the "governmental involvment" in my humble opinion.
Accidents are gonna happen no matter how many mandated safety courses one takes. If we want to save "even one life", let's just ban motorcycles all together!!!!!
Or we could just let each person make their own decisions!!!! That is kinda what freedom and liberty is all about.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Running of a curve has to do with the rider experience and road conditions, it doesn't take much to loose control on two wheels. Unfortunately some times luck is just not on motorcyclist side.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty6700
I don't agree that it should be mandatory! I started riding dirt bikes when i was 4yrs old. When i got my MC endorsement on my DL at 16...i already had 12yrs riding experience! I don't feel that a saftey course would've taught me anything i didn't already know. Sure, it should be highly recommended!!! I know a few people that have taken these courses to learn to ride to get their MC endorsement.....but by no means do these courses give them any "real world" experience.
Most of us have the experience NOT to wrap our bikes around a guardrail. The people who can't keep it on the road are the ones needing training.. A.k.a Newbies
I bought a boat a few years back. Safety course was not mandatory but I took it because I had never had a boat before. Sure I didn't have to go out on the boat for the course but I did learn things I was unaware of..
Yes the government is a big money wasting POS but this is one area they should get involved in. (never thought I would say that)

Last edited by upstate tim; 07-28-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by arlinsg
No one has mentioned our aging society. It's a lot more likely that someone that is between 50 and 70 to have an medical emergency.
My brother rode by an accident that happened this weekend up here in Wa., on Stevens Pass. He said they figure the 61 year old rider from Canada had a heart attack, went across 4 lanes into the guardrail, and then was thrown 150 feet down an embankment.
This accident happened on a fairly straight stretch of the pass.

A few years ago I was riding with a guy that was really overweight and in his sixties in 104* weather. Luckily when the heat stroke hit him and he passed out, we had just stop for gas. If it happened 5 minutes earlier, he could have wrecked, and taken one of us out with him.
That's bullsshit. It's more about inexperience than age.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

What's bullsshit? I didn't state that I thought it was the number one factor in motorcycle accidents.
Name one thing I said that's bullsshit.
If you don't think medical emergencies are a factor at all, and that it isn't more dangerous to have one on 2 wheels, I guess we'll have to agree on disagreeing!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On the other end are the 18 year old brain surgeons that graduated from dads station wagon to a new Harley or Ninja. This thread could go on forever! Lol

Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by my1sthog
Every experienced rider knows you cannot let your guard down, ever.
I realized myself after riding the Street glide for 20,000 miles, I've gotten much more comfortable and can handle her alot better than when I first drover her off the lot, but I know better than trying to bite off more than I can chew. Geeze, these bikes are in excess of 800 pounds, it's like trying to control an elephant
Well said. Safe riding is hard work requiring your constant attention. I'm getting older and lazier and that worries me a bit. So far I still have enough fear about riding that it keeps me alert. At some point this constant need for high level alertness will become too much. I hope I see that coming and stop riding before it happens.

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?