Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon 2005 Road King
Because the average biker doesn't know the first thing about braking in a turn - and that is don't brake in a turn! However, there is a way to do it but most guys just think if you hit a turn too fast you can just brake like a cager - wrong!

Roll off, straighten out, THEN brake! It takes practice, because it goes against instincts since you are not laying into the turn harder, but instead you straighten out INTO the danger area (outside of turn).
There are several ways to do that at individual points but I agree with you.....a good guide to cornering. Another I often add is slow in and fast out but that takes a bit of practice too...
all the best, ride safe,
R

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its usually the ones that ride like its a recreational vehicle that don't survive. Sunday warrioeswarriors Its the riders that ride their bike as a vehicle for transportation that survives.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser

Remember what you are driving. A touring bike not a sport bike.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
user 29711972
Banned

I watched a guy miss a curve going slow and completely sober. What a lot of newer riders don't do is look through the turn. Look to where you want to go, not at your damn front tire as you try to hold a consistent line/arch through the turn.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskyls1
speed is the biggest factor in not making a curve. The simple solution is to slow down.

bingo!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Riff Raph
Advanced

inexperience and speed would be my guess there. Just a quick story.....stopped off at a rest stop least month and met a group of riders heading to the dragons tail...1 of them admitted to not being very good at right hand curves...always goes really wide and sometimes dips off the road.....I had 2 thoughts...the first was thank god I am NOT heading to the dragons tail...and the second one was how the hell are you gonna ride probably the triwistist road in america with the basic skills required to go around the block.....that said I am all for new riders joining our brotherhood but I am also worried about them and the reputation they pass along to those of us why actually know how to ride....just sayin....

Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
user 29711972
Banned

Originally Posted by upstate tim
Motorcycle safety course should be mandatory to get a license.
I certainly agree. I've been riding for years, but I will still be taking the course when the OL takes it...I'm SURE there are things I haven't learned yet. Michigan has a "basic" and an "experienced" course. I might take the experienced course.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,535 Likes on 6,274 Posts

Originally Posted by harwood1980
I watched a guy miss a curve going slow and completely sober. What a lot of newer riders don't do is look through the turn. Look to where you want to go, not at your damn front tire as you try to hold a consistent line/arch through the turn.
I agree. I feel comfortable riding on curves, I have been riding for 7 years, 25K miles. I took the Skilled Riding Course this weekend and I sucked at looking through the turns. I know they are artificial in the parking lot, but I am going to concentrate a lot more on that in real life.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

alot of times you have no chance...like last sunday when a illegal drunk immigrant pulled out in front of this man and his son had to watch the whole accident happen...its sad
http://www.nwherald.com/2011/07/26/d...crash/avi3gk3/

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Jon 2005 Road King
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even experienced riders, while understanding the concept of braking in turns, rarely actually practice it. Ask yourself when was the last time you balled into a corner too fast, on purpose, just to practice braking?

Personally, I think the DMV riding test is bunk. Nobody gets killed turning at 2mph in a parking lot while negotiating a turn around a shopping cart... you might look like an idiot when you tip that scooter in the parking lot, but chances are it aint gonna turn you into road-pizza. I think that DMV riding test should actually test your skill as a rider, instead of testing your skill as a parker. And if they won't test your skill, then like others suggest; manditory driving course. At least then you will learn it.

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?