General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Local newspaper ALWAYS posts mc deaths. Of the 12-15 around here, I believe only 2 were the result of a cager. The most recent, 3 riders hit the back end of a truck at 110 on the thruway, truck going like 55-60.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank GOD I quit drinkin' in '08 or I would be missing the curve!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
EddieBlaize
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I was reading this morning about another biker killed yesterday when he ran off a curve and crashed into a wall. No other vehicles were involved.

There was two statistics the instructors told us at the motorcycle safety course that have stuck with me;

1. Over 50% of motorcycle deaths are single vehicle accidents.
2. Over 50% of motorcycle accidents involve alcohol.

The fix for the alcohol statistic is obvious, but how can we fix single vehicle accidents? I see these single vehicle motorcycle accidents a lot in the news, usually on curves. But I have personally passed a couple of accidents the last couple of years where the rider ran off the curve. What are we doing wrong?

Beary
How many of the single bike accidents involve alcohol would be a better stat.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
LuckyIrish7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inexperience, alcohol, excess speed and distracted drivers are probably in the same percentage as they were before. I think we are reading about more accidents simply because there are more riders on the road these days.

What they don't tell us, is how many motorcycles went through the same curve each day without incident?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accidents

Every experienced rider knows you cannot let your guard down, ever.
I realized myself after riding the Street glide for 20,000 miles, I've gotten much more comfortable and can handle her alot better than when I first drover her off the lot, but I know better than trying to bite off more than I can chew. Geeze, these bikes are in excess of 800 pounds, it's like trying to control an elephant

Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Jon 2005 Road King
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the average biker doesn't know the first thing about braking in a turn - and that is don't brake in a turn! However, there is a way to do it but most guys just think if you hit a turn too fast you can just brake like a cager - wrong!

Roll off, straighten out, THEN brake! It takes practice, because it goes against instincts since you are not laying into the turn harder, but instead you straighten out INTO the danger area (outside of turn).

Last edited by Jon 2005 Road King; 07-27-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskyls1
Speed is the biggest factor in not making a curve. The simple solution is to slow down.
I second that as well. Speed is the big killer along with riding beyond ones own skills.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't ride beyond your limits and don't drink and ride. Simple.

Drew

Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say speed and inexperience kill the most...add alcohol and I'd bet that stat goes way up. I have to agree and disagree with Jon 2005 above. Agree that most people (especially new riders) lack the ability and experience to safely brake in a turn. But disagree in the fact that experienced riders should know how to and use trail braking when necessary. IMHO, new riders should learn this technique. Effective trail braking is a very effective method to slow while in control during those "OH SH*T" moments....decreasing radius blind curve with a deer standing in the road for example. Trouble is, it takes a lot of practice and experience to master trail braking in order to be ready for those "special" moments we all have. My humble opinion, too many people take thier riding skill for granted and don't invest in themselves through genuine practice and evasive control techniques. If people took their riding technique as serious as they took other aspects of their life, we'd see far fewer of these single vehicle road departure accidents.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay awake and pay attention.

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?