General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHP1034ME
Get struck by lightning...that's an accident....everything else is human error...same with bikes...operator error. The riders overinflated sense of riding ability is probably the underlying root cause in most incidents.

You hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM
gearhead harley
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a stat for how many had a helmet on and how many didn't?. You'll probably find just as many or more deaths with a helmet on. As many states make you wear a helmet now.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 AM
FXSTS93
Cruiser

Any time you have a "vehicle only" accident you have driver error, motorcycle or car. Driving too fast, is usually the main factor, unfamiliar with road or conditions and of course, driving beyond your ability.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your missing a point here. They don't scrap their floorboards because the bike spends most of it's time in the garage or parked out front of the local dealer or biker bar during bike night.
Originally Posted by TheSinistral
Right, but in my opinion no amount of experience can replace the value of learning good technical skills, then practicing those skills. "Experience" can include bad habits that one has been fortunate enough to survive. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Assuming alcohol is not a factor, here is the scenario I envision: an inexperienced, untrained rider goes too hot into a curve, tries to correct with more lean, scrapes his footboards/pegs for the first time in his life, panics, target fixates on the barrier, grabs fistfulls of brake and the bike stands up. It has NOTHING to do with "luck" as some have offered.

I was stunned a while back bya thread in which many riders stated that they have never scraped their floorboards. "Never". How can a rider react to reaching the bike's max lean angle when he doesn't even know where that is?

-Sin'

Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 PM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Learn about delayed apex's, trail braking, on the throttle throughout the curve, proper head & eye work etc. Many good courses out there that will teach you the proper ways to take curves etc. and then you have to practice. Lots of good advise about also staying within your & the bikes capabilities.

Lots of folks question the parking lot manouvers, but if you've every watched any of the motorcycle police doing their training or in skill contests you'll be amazed at the skill level involved. And they are all done in a parking lot, mostly in 1st gear and sometimes up into 2nd briefly.

If you want to see a skilled motorcyclist watch how he handles the bike at low speeds. Next time you are out on a quiet Sunday morning, go to a mall or other vacant parking lot & practise a couple of tight turns around the light posts and do some uturns within a car parking space. Can be hard work but will really help your riding abilities.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM
CharlieJP
Intermediate

I can't add much here as it's mostly been stated. I still get a little spooky going into left turns, I think mainly due to a previous crash in my 20s and riding rockets for many years, I've seen a lot of front bumpers in left hand turns. I still keep it safe and in my lane. I've ridden with many folks above my skill level but I try my hardest to stay within my abilities when I'm riding.

If you own a bike and "ride it", you should always remember that, "IF YOU RIDE EM, YOU SLIDE EM!"

Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather take a course that involves turns at high speeds like some of the racing schools offer rather than dodging a cone at 15 mph. I dont think these riders are being killed by orange cones.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
MisterPX
Tourer

Originally Posted by orangevette
I would rather take a course that involves turns at high speeds like some of the racing schools offer rather than dodging a cone at 15 mph. I dont think these riders are being killed by orange cones.
STAR motorcycle school was developed for guys with your desire.
Great course, BTW. Helped refine my cornering, so now a lot of those sharp corners, aren't very sharp anymore

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Riding outside ones abilities? Not riding on roads the operator is familiar with? I know I have been guilty of both at least once....

Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

my guess,,, Speed.

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?