General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 AM
killerk95
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of great conversation and tips here guys! Learn from them, slow the heck down, and be careful. That's all I can add.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Every time I have a close call it is becuase of either:

Taking my eyes off the road
Going too fast into corners I don't know
Not looking ahead and instead staring at the line right in front of me.

As long as I remember those things, and force myself to look ahead, no problems.

Tight corners when you're going fast with a guardrail scare the crap out of me......worst thing you can do is look at the guardrail! Look at the end of the curve and CONCENTRATE.

~Joe

Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 AM
saltydog1911
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upstate tim
Motorcycle safety course should be mandatory to get a license. Inexperience on 2 wheels is a recipe for disaster as well.
No offense to anyone but I gotta think with Radios, GPS & cellphones on motorcycles it has to add to the accident rate some.. just like cages.

I should ride the same when I am alone as I do with the woman on the back...
I think ya got that right...

Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no such thing as a Motorcycle Safety course ..... it's a name dressed up to a series of lessons that should be called Motorcycle Awareness Course because by definition Motorcycle Safety Course implies cocoonville ..... take this and your chances are greatly increased of not having a collision because you have been trained .... Well that dont mean **** because the person that takes you out Ain't ... you can mandate all you want and make it part of the license route .... but i have said this time and time again you can't out school the Reaper or Kismet or the **** that's got their head up their *** while driving ( metaphor used) all you can hope for on any given day is that it's not you turn and try to ride safe .... there ain't no more to it than that period!

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 07-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Inexperience, excess speed, or both. Remember to ride your ride and stay within your abilities.
Sums it up well!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
alot of times you have no chance...like last sunday when a illegal drunk immigrant pulled out in front of this man and his son had to watch the whole accident happen...its sad
http://www.nwherald.com/2011/07/26/d...crash/avi3gk3/

Very sad about this accident, it is a constant that people are so damn irresponsible that they drive drunk, don't pay attention and pull in front of bikes. They need to prosecute them to the fullest extent.

That being said; no where in that story does it say that the driver was an illegal immigrant. Does the fact that he has a Hispanic name imply to you that he was illegal? If so, that is so wrong and bigoted. Comment on the facts not your ignorance

Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only do you have to be aware of your own limitations, you must know the limits of your bike....

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

face it, ALOT of these " riders " that are killing themselves are also terrible DRIVERS also. i constantly see guys in their cars/trucks pulling out in front of other cars/trucks/semi's & not think anything of it, & these same guys will be in the HOV lane on an interstate & cross 4 lanes to take an exit, the rest of the drivers on the road be damned

Last edited by NorCal Dog; 07-31-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished reading an article. It stated motorcycle deaths are down--scooter sales are up. My opinion is that most one person motorcycles accidents are caused by people that think they know what they are doing---ego. Wrong choices made by dumb asses. Doesn't matter if you partake in excess of legal or illegal substances, ride too fast, inattention, lack of planning,etc,etc,etc. If you go down you made a mistake or you are stupid. We don't even need a warning label on this ---you can kill or maim yourself riding on motorcycles. I get tired of people calling for requirements of mandatory classes. How about just a handout with the statistics on purchase with resource material and class offerings. If your old enough to buy it --your old enough to make decisions eventually. Quit trying to nanny state everyone else to make up for your lack of intelligence or skills.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
This sums it up for me as well.

Sitting in a classroom is all fine and dandy but won't even begin to replace experience and some good common sense.
Right, but in my opinion no amount of experience can replace the value of learning good technical skills, then practicing those skills. "Experience" can include bad habits that one has been fortunate enough to survive. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Assuming alcohol is not a factor, here is the scenario I envision: an inexperienced, untrained rider goes too hot into a curve, tries to correct with more lean, scrapes his footboards/pegs for the first time in his life, panics, target fixates on the barrier, grabs fistfulls of brake and the bike stands up. It has NOTHING to do with "luck" as some have offered.

I was stunned a while back bya thread in which many riders stated that they have never scraped their floorboards. "Never". How can a rider react to reaching the bike's max lean angle when he doesn't even know where that is?

-Sin'

Quick Reply: What are we doing wrong?