General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped torx screw on clutch inspection cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
Been there! Drill it and use an EZ Out extractor. It works best if you use cobalt drill bits. Good luck!

Buy an impact gun . Quarter inch drive w t27 bit. These can suck to get off.
Sears battery operated impact gun for future removals.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the best way.........

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjsnoop
Any tricks on getting a stripped torx screw out on the clutch inspection cover ?
Drill it!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 AM
kelly york
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped bolt heads derby cover

this seems to be common problem on all harley models i've seen this many times the bolts just too tight to be removed without stripping torx head replace with allen heads for sure, usually the problem is amount of torque on bolt, cutting slot with is great idea but i've found it still very hard to remove because of torque on bolt, also using dremmell tool in such tight work space without scratching cover can be tough, same with trying to tap out with chisel, two methods i use, first at point you know the torx head is going to strip try a hammeer style impact wrench gently usually not working but nothing to lose after this the torx head is done, paln b, use left hand drill bit just larger than bolt threads, got 10 piece set for 10 bucks, once bolt head gets thin torque pressure relieved bolt spins out with drill bit, never going all the way through to cover, using standard drill bits you have to be carefull to not drill into cover, left handers have worked everytime for me never a scratch, no dissrespect for anyones ideas hope this helps someone

Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

allen vs torx is an age old argument. theoretically, the torx can handle higher torque loads than the allen. in reality, people strip them out using the wrong size bit, or cheap bits that aren't exactly the right size (a harbor freight t27 may not be equal to a snap on t27)

however you get it off, (drilling the head off and then removing the shaft by hand worked for me), when you go to reinstall, do 2 things: first, use a dab of anti-seize on the new bolts, and secondly, do not torque these down super tight. it is not high pressure oil behind it, so snug is perfectly fine. torque spec is 84-100 inch lbs (NOT FT/LBS). and tighten them in a star pattern, snug first, then final torque the second time.

after the first one that i had strip, i've been doing it this way for over 10 years and haven't had a second one strip yet. and yes, i'm still using the hd torx screws.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Shortmag
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

99 % of the time you can use an allen wrench to remove stripped out torx head bolts.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
allen vs torx is an age old argument. theoretically, the torx can handle higher torque loads than the allen. in reality, people strip them out using the wrong size bit, or cheap bits that aren't exactly the right size....
This.

Torx screws are fine as long as you use the proper size quality bit and good technique. The problem is the nut behind the wrench.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same trouble you had on the first service. The next time I removed it with this and had no problems

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM217385939

You hit this ratchet with a hammer which simultaneously turns the torx. The hammer drives it into the head so it won't strip. Worked great on the 10,000 miles service.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

I've seen enough stripped out allen & Torx head bolts I picked up a remover set , Cool little gadgets look like an allen but the working is tapered so you tap it into the head till it bites and out they come . Saved I don't how much time dealing with monkeyed up bolt heads .

Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Explicitly picked up this (Craftsman) yesterday, which was missing in my new tool set:

Yes, T25 might trick you into proper fitting, but it is way too lose.

Quick Reply: stripped torx screw on clutch inspection cover